Chapter Seven - part 2

Liz jumped in her skin, her heart beating so loud she was sure they could both hear it. Mr. Bingley was the last person she’d expected to find wandering into his former employee’s house with so little ceremony.

If Mrs Reynolds felt any awkwardness at being caught reading the tea-leaves, she did not show it. “I was merely curious to see if there was anything interesting in Miss Pargeter’s future.”

He looked down at Liz and the crease between his brows relaxed, although he still appeared annoyed. “I’ve been looking for you. I thought you might need a ride home. I’m on my way back to Pemberley.”

She noticed he was wearing jodhpurs again and wondered if he expected her to sit on one of his horses. For a moment, a vision of him sweeping her up into his arms and galloping off into the sunset held a strong appeal, but she ruthlessly quashed it. “No, thanks. I left my car by the gates.”

The former housekeeper smiled up at him like an indulgent mother. “There’s some cake left. Would you like a slice?”

“You need to ask?”

The old woman laughed and wandered into the kitchen, leaving William and Liz alone.

He looked at her from under heavy brows, which made his eyes seem darker than usual. “I didn’t know where you were this morning. Mrs Ellis had no idea either.”

Liz’s heart started beating faster. Was she imagining the worry in his voice? “I only popped to the shop for something. I didn’t realise I’d be gone for so long.”

Her poor excuse seemed to lighten his mood and a ghost of a smile lifted one corner of his mouth. “I know what that’s like. Once you get Violet started it can be hard to stop her talking.”

Mrs Reynolds returned then with a thick slab of cake on a delicate china tea plate. “Miss Pargeter and I were having a nice chat. Will you join us?”

William finished his cake in three bites, and then licked his fingers. “No, I need to get back. I have some work to do.” He turned to Liz. “I’ll see you when you get home.”

Mrs Reynolds followed him out. Although she’d pulled the sitting room door closed, Liz could still make out their parting words in the small hallway beyond.

“Violet, I need your help with something. Will you come up to the house once your visitor has left?”

Liz breathed out as her shoulders fell. He’d only come to speak to Mrs Reynolds after all. So much for her suspicion that he’d been worried about her.

“Of course.” There was a pause, and then she added, “Miss Pargeter is a very nice girl.”

“Yes, she is, but I’m serious about the matchmaking. I’m old enough to look after myself, don’t you think?”

“I know what’s going through that brain of yours.”

“Leave it alone.”

The old woman’s chuckle sounded like gravel through a sieve. “Why? I think she’s lovely. What’s wrong with her?”

Liz wondered the same thing. She’d begun to imagine William’s attention might be more than that of a host to his guest but now she realised she’d read the signs all wrong.

When Mrs Reynolds spoke again, Liz realised William’s reply had been too low to hear. “It’s your loss, but young ladies like this don’t appear on your doorstep every day. Don’t be surprised if you lose out to Tom.”

“Tom Dawson?”

“Yes. We met him on our way back from the shop.”

William laughed out loud at that. “I doubt Tom would be your mystery man. You did say tall, dark and handsome, after all. I’ll see you later.” The door slammed behind him.