Chapter Twelve

The pictures were recent, taken within the last few weeks and usually from a distance. One caught Liz on the way from her most recent dentist appointment. Another showed her walking from the bus stop to work, oblivious to the hidden photographer and his long lens.

A quick scan of the letter confirmed her fears. Mr. Bingley had paid a firm of security consultants to check into her background, but there was no clue as to why. The report described where she lived and worked, and gave a list of the places she’d been in the last few weeks. It didn’t delve too deep into her history and gave only the bare facts about her family, but the idea that someone had searched for those names and dates was more than enough to unnerve her.

The company had written their report less than a week before Mr. Bingley had invited her to Pemberley. Had he distrusted her motives for contacting him?

Or did he want to know whether she had any family to complain if she never returned home?

Stuffing the pages back into the envelope she took it, closing the door behind her. Liz didn’t relax until she’d returned to her own room, worried all the while that she might meet William or his pit-bull of a secretary. She dragged her small bag out from the back of the wardrobe and began throwing her clothes inside. Despite it being dark outside, Liz didn’t care. She wouldn’t stay another minute longer than necessary.

As she snapped the case closed she heard a knock on the door.

“Lizzy?”

Liz bit her lip. Her stomach might have twitched at the sound of William’s voice but she couldn’t afford to let her emotions get in the way of her escape. Her heart just hadn’t caught up to her head yet.

He knocked again. “It’s me…William. Have you recovered yet? Dinner’s on its way.”

She crammed her research files into the pocket of her laptop bag, hoping he wouldn’t try the unlocked door.

This time his voice was louder. “Liz? Are you awake?”

She watched the handle turn and backed further away. Apart from the windows—too high to jump—there were no other exits.

William peeked around the door. “Oh, sorry. I thought you might still be in the bathroom.” His brow creased into a frown when he noticed her case on the bed. “Are you going somewhere?”

Liz silently debated whether to lie but knew there was little point. “Yes, home.” 

“But I thought… Why now? Aren’t we going to talk about this?”

She avoided looking at him, instead checking around the room to make sure she hadn’t missed anything. “No, I’ve changed my mind.”

He moved closer, too close. She always had trouble thinking straight when her nose caught his familiar scent. Stretching out his hand he ran a finger along the side of her neck. “If you’re worried what people might think—”

She shivered and jerked away, stepping back out of his reach. “Tell me, what will happen if I stay here? Will I ever see my friends or family again? Will I live another week?”

“A lot longer than that, I hope.” He spotted the envelope where she’d thrown it down by her bag and sighed. “You’ve been upstairs.”

“Yes, I have.”

“Why?”

Her suspicions stuck in her throat. “I was looking for something. You told me the attic space was old servant’s rooms and storage.”

“Some of it is, but it’s also my private space, where I go to be alone.”

No longer able to hold back her anger, she flung her arm wide. “You have a house full of space! Why do you need more?”