Chapter Nineteen

“Lizzy, what are you doing?”

There was something odd about the voice that called to her, but she couldn’t put her finger on what was wrong. “Daddy?”

Her father sounded angry. “Are you out of your senses, to be accepting this man? Have not you always hated him?”

How could she hate William? If it hadn’t been for him she would never have discovered the strength to stand up to Amanda. Only his presence and love had given her the courage to take the words she’d whispered so many times in the silence of her own head, and throw them in her stepmother’s face.

Then she saw the owner of the voice standing in front of her. A short, stocky man, his hair almost white, he seemed old before his time. It wasn’t her father, and yet she knew it was. She’d never seen him before in her life—at least not in this lifetime—but the style of his clothing and the look on his face seemed to overwhelm her with familiarity. She remembered William describing how Elizabeth’s feelings for him had altered and knew what her answer should be. “Mr. Darcy is not the man he once was. If he can change his behaviour, it would be wrong for me to hold so vehemently to my previous opinions.”

“In other words, you are determined to have him. He is rich, to be sure, and you may have more fine clothes and fine carriages than Jane. But will they make you happy?”

In truth, none of William’s possessions would have swayed her one bit. A smile from him was worth more to her than gold. He could have been a beggar on the street. It wouldn’t have made any difference to the way she felt about him. This time, the reply fell from her lips without conscious thought. “Have you any other objection than your belief of my indifference?”

The man shrugged. “None at all. We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man, but this would be nothing if you really liked him.”

“I do, I do like him,” she insisted as tears welled in her eyes. “I love him. He has no improper pride. With me he’s been nothing but friendly. You have no idea how much he has suffered.”

Mr Bennet sighed and his shoulders fell, as though accepting defeat. “I have given him my consent. He is the kind of man, indeed, to whom I should never dare refuse anything he condescended to ask. I now give it to you, if you are resolved on having him.” The Regency gentleman in her dream shimmered, his form replaced by one taller, blonde haired but no less familiar. He looked down at her and smiled, his hand reaching forward to cradle her cheek. “Well, my dear, I have no more to say. If this is the case, he deserves you. I could not have parted with you, my precious princess, to anyone less worthy.”

Liz sobbed. “Daddy, I miss you.”

“I miss you too, Poppet, but you’re in safe hands now.” He stood for a moment longer, a sad smile playing about his lips, before his image started to fade.

Tears tickled as they ran down her cheek. “No…no, don’t go. Please don’t leave me again.”

“Shhh, It’s alright. I’m here. I won’t go anywhere.” 

She felt an arm around her shoulders and his lips pressed against her forehead. “W…William?”

“I’m here, love. You were dreaming.”

Liz opened her eyes, recognising her own room. She glanced bleary-eyed at the clock by her bed. 7:27am. The alarm would have woken her up in three more minutes.

He sat awkwardly on the edge of the bed, a frown casting shadows across his forehead. “You were dreaming about your father.”

“Yes. How did you know?”