Chapter Fourteen

Lengthening his stride, Darcy entered the house through the side door, hoping to catch her in the hall, but he found it empty. He paused, lifting his eyes to the first floor landing, wondering if she’d gone to retrieve her suitcase. Despite knowing this incarnation of Elizabeth for less than a week, he felt sure she wouldn’t appreciate him hovering over her shoulder. She’d asked for time and that was the one thing he had in abundance.

He turned his back on the staircase and walked towards the salon, feeling helpless that he couldn’t do more. Although ready for the curse to end, it was no longer his primary motivation. The thought of not being able to see Liz every day for the rest of her life caused an uncomfortable spasm in his chest. Darcy didn’t know how he would cope if she rejected him now. It would be like losing Elizabeth all over again.

The doors were already open when he arrived. Walking through them he found Liz sat on the sofa, waiting for him.

Darcy searched her eyes, wondering whether he’d be able to identify her decision from her expression. Her lips lifted into a slight smile as she dropped her gaze to her hands, but not before he’d seen the blush on her cheek.

He swallowed around the lump in his throat, wondering how he would begin to form the question he had to ask. He needed to ask. Not knowing was driving him insane.

“Liz?”

She looked up, flinching at the sound of his voice. “Yes, Will—?” Her hand flew to her mouth. “You aren’t really William Bingley. What should I call you now?”

A fragile hope bloomed in his chest. “I’ll answer to anything. I’ve been William Bingley for almost twenty years.” The fact that she wasn’t ready to run screaming from the house he took as a positive sign.

Liz stood, her attention caught by some of the photographs on the sideboard. She picked up one of the silver frames, studying the image for a moment before replacing it.

He crossed the room to stand by her side. His fingers itched to touch her but he folded them behind his back, not wanting to frighten her away.

“Who are all these children?”

Seeing the way she’d smiled as she had asked the question, he suspected she already knew. He pointed to each face in turn, memories unfurling like flowers as he named them. None of them were children anymore. He’d even attended some of their funerals.

From the moment he’d married, Darcy had wanted children. A nursery full. When none had arrived he’d accepted the fact with as much grace as he could muster, while hoping things would one day change.

Committing himself to the children of Pemberley had served a dual purpose. It had tied the tenants and other families to the estate, binding them with both loyalty and love to keep his dark secret from the outside world. However, he had also benefitted, giving him something to care about and live for during the desolate years when he’d despaired of ever finding Elizabeth again.

“You are Godfather to them all.”

He knew then she’d been to the village, probably to see Violet. “Who else was more suited for the role? At least I knew I would always be there for them.”

“Mrs Reynolds mentioned Mrs Ellis.” She left the words hanging in the silence. Although she hadn’t couched her observation in the form of a question, Liz nonetheless wanted to know.

It took a moment to relax his jaw. The memories of that night still had the power to hurt him, even after all this time. “Margery’s parents died and I took her in.”