Chapter 13 - White Shadows

Ok, after feeling the love in the last chapter, I run the risk of being unfollowed in this chapter, hahaha. But I'd like to remind you my dears, read the synopsis of my story and this chapter will make sense. So please understand, this is a turning point in my story. Basta, have faith pa rin :)

Life will always surprise us with amazing twists and turns, sometimes masasampal ka na lang ng katotohanan (had to say it in tagalog for impact) and you will feel like, what the hell just happened? But you recover from it anyway, with flying colors pa.

So please don't hate me, ok? Bati pa rin sana tayo after this. Your comments my loves, I live for them :)

 Maybe you'll get what you wanted
Maybe you'll stumble upon it
Everything you ever wanted in a permanent state
Maybe you'll know when you've seen it
Maybe if you say it you'll mean it
And when you find it you'll keep it
In a permanent state
A permanent state  

She hated hospitals ever since she was young. Hospitals had that antiseptic smell that scared her, because ever since she was as young as seven years old, that smell meant pain for her. She was a sickly child, always down with fever and chills, needing intravenous feeding because she had trouble taking in her food. And now eighteen years later, her hands still get clammy, her heart still palpitates each time she steps into a hospital.

Today was a make or break day. She stalled on her tests for so long but her last collapse made it inevitable for her to have her bloodwork done. On the day Maine visited her in the hospital, her bloodwork revealed results that required further testing, and she agreed to stay in the hospital to have a bone marrow biopsy done. She refused to see the results, choosing to go to Singapore first and finish her mission there before seeing her oncologist.

Her mission in Singapore was finished, she was now confident and emotionally prepared to accept whatever her oncologist would tell her. She also vowed to herself that whatever the results will be, she would share it this time with Richard, she would come clean about this, along with so many other things he needed to know about her.

Her doctor came in, smiling briefly at her and gestured for her to sit in front of him. Her future was in his hands, she prayed long and hard for a good result, and she hoped her prayers would be answered today.

"Hi doc, long time no see."

"It's about time you came to see me, Nicole. We really have to face the realities of your health condition and fix it."

"Any good news, doc?"

"I'm sorry, Nicole. The Bone Marrow Biopsy confirms that the CMS (Chronic Myeloid Leukemia) progressed into AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia). We've stalled long enough on your treatments, we need to start aggressive chemotherapy soon. 

"What are my chances for recovery, doc?"

"If we started the treatments immediately, I could be more confident to assure you of your chances.  But you've stalled too long, Nicole. Granted, CMS progresses slowly just as you read in your research. You should have been extremely vigilant about your condition and started treatment immediately. You're anemia and smoking predisposes you to a faster progression of the disease because your body is not as healthy as it should be to battle the cancer."

"I had my reasons for stalling doc, and it's ok, I accept my fate."

"It's not too late, let's start the treatments immediately, Nicole. After we've stabilized your condition, we can try stem cell treatment, to get you better chances of survival. For now, I advise you to stop smoking and follow the diet I gave you. Work at making your body stronger."