Chapter 20 - What If

Photo : Screen Grab from Imagine You and Me, DVD version

Words get in the way sometimes of any good intentions we have. And words we let go of, can never be taken back, never can be erased. We say things without thinking and next thing we know, our world will turn upside down, and nothing that we say after, can ever undo the wrong that our initial words caused.

Without further ado, read in this chapter how much a few words can change one's life. The power of communication encompasses life in a big way, so always remember, be careful with your words. all the time. 

Read on my dears, and as always, share your precious thoughts :)

What if I got it wrong
And no poem or song
Could put right what I got wrong
Or make you feel I belong

What if you should decide
That you don't want me there by your side
That you don't want me there in your life  

"Would you give your sperm for her to have your baby?"

Richard was stupefied by her question. His ears flushed a deep red, the question confused him. His first instinct was to feel insulted, the question was not exactly something a woman in love would ask her boyfriend. But, was he already her boyfriend? She was inexperienced about relationships, might not know the unspoken behavior codes about people involved with each other. Even then, would a woman ask the same question to someone she was in love with?

"Maine, just assuming I was willing to do that, how can Nicole carry the baby? She's going to be weak from the chemo treatments, and I'm sorry I have to say this, but what if the procedure of giving birth kills her?

"Nicole won't carry the baby, Jay. I would."

"Did she ask this of you?"

"No.....But....."

"Then why are you asking me this? Do you really love me?"

"Why do you ask me that? I've given myself to you wholeheartedly. Isn't that proof? Being intimate with you was a big leap for me, Jay."

"To be honest, I'm.........I don't know, hurt? Offended?" He blew some air to release the tension he was feeling.

"Your question made me feel like I'm just another dog, a stud service that impregnates anyone who desires offspring. I know you love your sister, but this is the second time you've hurt my feelings, Maine. First, you never fought for me with your sister, and now this."

Her face turned a deep red. He was right, she didn't think of the impact of her words, or how it would feel from his standpoint. Alarm bells started ringing inside her head. She really sucked at social etiquette, she always speaks her mind and it can turn people off sometimes.

"Did you even consider the baby's future? If we do this, yes, we made your sister happy before she passes away. But when she dies, that baby won't have a mother. "

"But the baby will have me. I will take care of the baby."

"Maine....where is this all coming from? Are you feeling guilty because we're happy together and Nicole isn't? It's like you're offering my sperm as some form of consolation prize for her."

"I'm sorry Jay." She hugs his arm close to her, and kisses his hand. She knows she hurt him with her question and she needed to explain herself.

"Jay, I know I hurt you with my question. I'm so sorry. Maybe I do feel guilty that we're happy together. Ever since we were little, she was the sickly one. We'd both catch the flu, I would always recover quickly, but for her, a simple flu would take days of bedrest and sometimes hospitalization. She never enjoyed the outdoors like I did. But if there was one thing she had that I didn't, it was optimism."