29

CLYDE

"Long live the princess! Long live the prince!"

She closed the drapes of the carriage and sat back. Namumula ang kanya mga pisngi.

"You're still shy?" natatawa kong tanong.

She glared at me. "I don't like being the center of attention. Also, they do this every time our carriage passes the village. Mas gugustuhin kong kumaway na lamang sila at bumalik na sa araw-araw nilang buhay."

I pinched her cheek. "You saved everyone. My wife deserves to be the center of attention."

A month has passed since Alice destroyed the ring. A month has passed since King Vincent died. A month has passed since the vampires retreated to the South.

The Middle village is now slowly going back to its normal rhythm. My mom and my dad settled back to the castle. It is, however, with great sadness when we found out that Professor Ox died. She died protecting the school from the manticores. Since then, Professor Thelessa took over the school and became the new headmistress.

We stepped out of the carriage as soon as we arrived home. Our home here in the Light Forest. Alice loved this place.

"This is our first home," she said. "We will build our family here."

I love the thought of 'building a family'. I want to fill the halls with running children that looks like small versions of the two of us. Gusto ko siyang bigyan ng isang malaking pamilya to compensate for everything she went through because of her parents.

"Clyde? Anong nginingiti mo diyan? Tara na," she called out. Ganito rin kapayapa ang mga sumunod na araw.

We will wake up. We'll get dressed. We'll eat breakfast.

We'll walk outside, sometimes go to the village. We'll eat lunch.

She'll try to paint. I'll try to read a book. We'll eat dinner.

We'll look out the window while we try to write. Then, we'll sleep.

And, repeat. We do all of this every day, together. I wouldn't trade it with anything in the world.

The next day, however, was different. A letter came to us with the wax seal of the South Kingdom. My heart pounded off my chest.

"What is it?" Alice asked. I looked at her sitting by the window holding a paint brush. She's trying to paint again. I already teased her before to give up already. Wala siyang talent sa pagpipinta.

"An invitation," sagot ko. Binaba niya ang hawak niyang brush and turned to look at me.

"From who? An invitation for what?"

"From the South," I answered. "They invited us to a ball. At may iaannounce daw sila."

After everything that happened, we're quite traumatized na sa mga ball na ito. Palaging may nangyayaring masama sa mga gathering na 'yan eh. Kung hindi natural catastrophe, invasion.

"Should we go?" tanong niya.

"Gusto mo bang pumunta?" I asked.

She smiled at me. "Gusto kong mag-gown."

Mabilis ding dumating ang araw ng ball. Alice wore a black gown made of the finest silk. She is really a wonder. I still can't believe that she is my wife.

"Ano nanaman?" she said habang tinitignan sa salamin ang sarili niya. I went up to her and hugged her from behind.

"Let's just stay here," I pleaded. I wanted to just stay here and have her all to myself. I don't care much about social gatherings anyway.

"Nope." Alice kissed my cheek but then pushed me away. "As the prince of this kingdom, we have to go and show our support."

Fine. Tama siya. It is my duty to show up. Lumabas na kami at sumakay ng chariot. I was frowning the whole way to the South Castle. I hate this place. Lalo na tuwing naaalala ko mga ginawa ni King Vincent, kumukulo dugo ko.

Malayo palang ay nakikita ko na ang dami ng taong dumalo sa pagsasalong ito. Every noble family in every kingdom is here. From afar, I saw Grayson, Theo and Zayden waving at us. Agad kaming pumunta to where they are. Sabay-sabay kaming pumasok sa loob. The castle looks different now. It looks re-decorated. It looks brighter.

Teka. Ito nga pala ang hinaharap na problema ng South. The King is dead and he has no heir to the throne. Not even a close relative. Who will lead this kingdom now?

"Sino sa tingin niyo susunod na magiging hari?" Theo asked. We looked around. Even the noble families from the South looks clueless. So, that means wala rin silang alam.

The music played and the food were served. Natabunan ng salo-salo ang mga tanong namin. We soon found ourselves just eating and dancing and having fun. Theo even slipped and poured juice all over his body. Sometimes, I wish Jude could see this. Sure akong tawang-tawa rin siya with us.

The lights suddenly dimmed at humina ang tugtog ng musika. A group of servants arrived, giving out flutes of champagne to everyone. Ito na siguro ang announcement na sinabi nila. I felt Alice clutch my arm. Like what I said, may trauma na kami sa mga gathering na ganito. What if invasion nanaman ito?

We all looked up at the woman that appeared at the balcony of this hall. "Ladies and gentlemen," the woman started. "It has been a month since the previous monarch died, ending their line of succession. With this, the council have deliberately decided to appoint our new monarch. Someone who we believe will lead this kingdom with good governance."

"Sino sa tingin niyo?" tanong ni Zayden.

"What if si Rachelle, 'no?" natatawang sabi ni Theo. "Magiging kikay talaga lahat ng vampires."

The woman on the balcony raised her champagne glass. "Let us all welcome, the new sovereign leader of the South, none other than...

... Queen Rachelle Quinn!"