3. Nightmares and Meetings

Lilia POV

There's a knock on the front door, so I go down the stairs to answer it. I open the door, revealing a uniform-clad army officer.

"Are you Lilia Jonas?" He asks.

"Yes," I reply, curtly.

"Is anyone else home?"

"Not at the moment, can I help you?"

"Miss Jonas, I'm here with a solemn task. Your father, Edward Jonas, was reported dead this morning. I'm sorry that I had to relay this information, and I'm even more sorry for your loss."

"No, he can't be dead, I need him."

"Lilia, wake up." I hear Joe's voice, and I jolt awake. I feel tears on my face, "You were having a nightmare."

"Dad's not dead?" I ask for reassurance.

"No, he's fine, you're fine."

"I can't lose him." I continue to cry.

"You won't, everything will be okay." He says.

"Will you stay with me? I don't want to be alone after that dream."

"Yes, of course." Joe lies down next to me, wrapping a protective arm around my waist.

I drift into a deep, dreamless sleep.

I wake up the next morning with Joe lying next to me, sleeping. I gently pry his arm off of my waist.

"What time is it?" Joe mumbles. I reach for my phone on the nightstand, pressing the power button and reading the time.

"Like 8:30." I say, sitting up.

"I should get up too." Joe sighs, slowly standing up, "Breakfast?"

"I'm not hungry." I say quietly.

"Yeah, no," Joe gives me a gentle glare, "You're eating."

"Ugh, fine," I say, stomping towards the door.

"Hey, change the attitude, please," He says with a slight warning tone.

"Yes, sir," I sigh. I follow Joe down the stairs and into the kitchen where Nick is currently eating a bowl of cereal.

"Whatcha got there?" I ask, eyeing his food.

"Cheerios, you want some?" He replies. I give a slight nod and Joe places a bowl and spoon in front of me and I pour myself some cereal followed by some milk.

"Are you actually going to eat?" Nick asks as I lift a bite into my mouth.

"Yeah," I say with my mouth full.

"Good," He says. We eat the rest of our breakfast without saying anything.

"So, how'd you sleep last night?" Nick asks as I rinse my bowl in the sink.

"Not very well." I say quietly.

"Wanna tell me about it?"

"Not particularly."

"Come on babe, talk to me."

"No, look I don't want to talk. Please, don't make me."

"Okay, I won't," He says, "Will is coming over soon to pick me up, and I'm assuming you have a few words for him."

"No, don't think I do." I shrug. Nick smacks me on the butt once as a warning, "I was kidding, geez."

"Attitude? Drop it." He says. I resist the urge to roll my eyes.