44

By the fourth day, I had become accustomed to waking up in this unfamiliar place

By the fourth day, I had become accustomed to waking up in this unfamiliar place. Today, however, I didn't even want to wake up, but I heard the sound of voices downstairs and decided it was time to end my peaceful slumber. I stretched my muscles out once I woke up, wiping the sleep and the tiredness of last night away. Colby wasn't in bed with me anymore and I inwardly rolled my eyes. I told him to wake me up when he was up, but clearly he missed the memo. His head was probably somewhere else last night, much like how it's been since our whole little fiasco days ago.

Part of me wanted to cower away from Colby after what we did in the front seat of his car in the deserted parking lot of his high school. No one had ever seen me like that, like ever in my life, and no one had put me in the position where I was yearning for something along the same lines to happen yet again. I know I wasn't the only one feeling this way because lately, Colby's been a lot more touch-y feel-y than usual and as much as I wanted to entertain it so bad, I had way too much respect for the roof we were under and the rules given to us by Mrs. Donna. If it had been any other time and any other place, maybe I would've given in to his ways.

But definitely not here.

I got out of bed, placing the house slippers I had bought on my second day here. Mrs. Donna was really particular about walking around barefoot--she thought it was disgusting. I never really paid any mind to it, but she gave this long and length monologue on what diseases we could catch and what diseases we were spreading and in the end, I gave into it and spent twenty dollars on some Victoria Secret house slippers.

If I was going to wear them, I at least wanted them to be cute.

Colby thought it was a waste of money but Tanisha was all for it. She was just like me in a way. I mean, when we got together it was like Bad and Boujee was our soundtrack.

I made my way downstairs and Dominic and Colby were seated on the couch with none other than basketball playing on the TV. Tanisha was singing along loudly to the Beyonce that was playing on the boombox that went almost unnoticeable until I almost tripped over the long ass cord.

"I don't get a goodmorning?" Colby called out, throwing his hands up in the air. I rolled my eyes at his dramatics and proceeded to send a friendly wave in the direction of Dominic who returned it with a salute before turning his attention back towards the game. The frequent smell of breakfast cooking was long gone which led me to think that breakfast was going to be every man for themselves this morning. Mrs. Donna had done a good job as portraying herself as that type of mom, most likely because of the presence of a visitor (me), but she let it be known that it wasn't going to be like this for too long. Actually, by now I would like to think I passed the visitor stage with her. I mean, last night we spent an hour doing laundry together and watching LifeTime movies in the living room. I'm sure I wasn't like a second daughter to her yet, but I was definitely not a stranger.