2

Ms. Shepherd thought it would be a good idea to bring Connie to her physical therapy sessions to get her out of the house and for Connie to meet new people. That's what Ms. Shepherd tells Connie, but she left out the part of being afraid of leaving her seventeen year old at the apartment. She trusts Connie, but doesn't trust the other people in the area. Since Connie doesn't speak, she couldn't get help if something happened.

Connie latches her fingers tightly to her vintage satchel as they walk into the lavender scented small building. Her mother checks herself in and guides them into her office, but for some reason Connie didn't want to meet anyone today. She's exhausted, staying up all night from her nightmares that she keeps having. She hopes her mother understands, but then again Ms. Shepherd always understands. Connie points toward the waiting area and her mother sighs.

"Connie-"

Connie quickly pokes her chest with her fingers, elbows, up then dropping them down, indicating that's she's tired. Ms. Shepherd nods and watches her daughter leave the small room.

Connie takes a seat in one of the comfy chairs that rise high up in the shape of a sphere cut in half. She positions herself in the maroon comforters and pulls out her notebook to begin drawing. Connie looks up at all the people passing by and sketches everyone who sits in the waiting area. She looks at them once before finally getting their full view. Connie has a photogenic memory so she can easily pick up on what she sees. Though one girl that comes in, makes Connie glance more than once.

She has bright cherry hair that sticks out to her pale skin. She wears a light jean dress and pink polka dot flats. Connie has never seen anyone wear something like that before. The girl catches her staring and smirks with her icy blue eyes slicing through the mute girl. To Connie's embarrassment, the redhead sits next to her, and Connie sinks further into the chair hoping it'll swallow her whole.

"Hi there," she says with a voice Connie couldn't tell was flirtatious or not.

Connie doesn't say anything and just turns away even more red-faced. She tries moving her head so her black hair would hide her. She hopes the girl would walk away, but instead she calls at her again. Connie turns and sees the girl extending her fingers and crossing her thumb in front of her palm. She smiles gently as if to indicate she understands that Connie is deaf, but she doesn't because Connie isn't.

I'm not deaf. Connie answers moving her fingers swiftly.

"Then why don't you talk?"

Mute. Connie curls her two fingers in front of her chin.

"Well I'm Cherry." She extends her pinky on one hand and the other twists it around the tip of her pinky.

Before Connie could reply with her name Cherry is already raising her eyebrow dramatically. Connie stares at her wondering what she could mean, and Cherry continues doing it until Connie thinks she sees a bit of sweat forming from her forehead.

"I'm asking for your name!" Cherry finally says throwing her hands up in exasperation.

Connie holds back a laugh by biting her tongue and then squints her eyebrows. She points to them and Cherry shakes her head finally understanding she did the wrong movement.

"I can't believe I forgot how to ask someone's name. I've been doing sign language ever since my brother was born, but I guess I only used it once since I don't speak to anyone else in sign language but him."

Connie turns her paper over and quickly writes something down before holding it up for Cherry to see.

Your brother is deaf?

Cherry nods and Connie frowns holding her closed hand to her chest and rotates it around a bit indicating sorry.

"See I know that one, I use it all the time."

Connie smiles lightly and writes something else down.

Me too.

Cherry holds out her hand for the notebook which surprises Connie and she's hesitant to give it up.

Cherry rolls her eyes likes it's obvious. "I want to write too, it seems pretty cool."

Connie tears off the paper and hands it to Cherry. Cherry looks around for a pen and when Connie points to the desk, Cherry leaps for it. She brought along a clip board as well and writes underneath Connie's writing.

What are you sorry for?

Cherry hands Connie the paper and she looks over her beautiful writing. Much more prettier and neater than Connie's.

You have such beautiful hand writing.

Thanks, I get it from my grandpa. He practiced everyday to write perfectly.

Connie scrunches her eyebrows. Why?

He's a perfectionist.

So he's still alive?

Cherry nods. Yep, won't die either. His death has to be perfect too.

Connie grins and before she can write down anything else, her mother comes out calling her name.

"Ready to go?" Ms. Shepherd pauses looking between the two girls and smiles. "Oh hello, I haven't seen you around here before."

Cherry jumps from her seat making her dress rise up a bit. "My parents and I moved here recently."

"Oh well do your parents work here?" Ms. Shepherd asks continuing the conversation.

Cherry pauses shifting her weight from side to side. "Um no, I just thought I'd check this place out," she then adds quickly, "I'm new here."

"Oh, well welcome then," Ms. Shepherd smiles softly then her eyes drift to Cherry's hair. "I like your hair by the way, very bold and different."

Cherry smiles. "I like to be different."

The way she said that made Connie smile herself.

"That's wonderful, Connie is too," Ms. Shepherd places her hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Oh I know," Cherry glances at her and winks causing Connie to flush.

Connie hopes her mom didn't notice. She doesn't act like it because she fixes her purse around her shoulder and gives her sweet smile. "Well, it was nice meeting you Cherry. Hopefully I'll see more of you."

They walk out together and instead of saying goodbye, Cherry glides her fingers across Connie's on her way out.