12

Connie's happy that Cherry doesn't have school today because she has a surprise for her. Connie is grateful for Cherry sticking by her side for the past week and their relationship has bloomed since they spent every minute together. Cherry has helped Connie with  eating better, helped her throw away all her cigarettes, and has chased Connie's nightmares away. Connie has never met anyone that has cared for her as much as Cherry does, so she wants to do this for her.

Cherry doesn't know what Connie is up to as she picks her up. Connie insists she wants to drive to their surprise destination, and Cherry hesitantly agrees.

"So why'd you make sure I brought a good pair of headphones and my phone?" Cherry asks once they are on the road.

Connie shakes her head trying to hold back her smile. She knows Cherry will love this, and it's going to be a good surprise. Though Cherry is not having it.

"Okay I know I told you I love surprises, but it's bothering me."

Connie gives her a thumbs up and Cherry sighs, but then quickly smiles. They drive quietly with only the small sound of music from the radio. They arrive to the mall and Cherry glances up at the mall sign in confusion.

"Are you going to buy me something for an event you're not telling me about?"

They get out of the car and hold hands walking to the outside commons of the mall while Cherry continues her assumption of what they are doing.

"You're going to buy me a beautiful dress, then we'll go out to dinner to a fancy restaurant in our fancy dresses, and talk and laugh like we always do. Then we'll go dancing and then we'll go back home to change, but you stop me taking out a ring and proposing to me."

Connie raises an eyebrow at Cherry and lets go of her hand to reply. Is that what you want me too do?

Cherry blushes shaking her head before smirking. "No, that's what I'd do too you. I'm just making sure you don't beat me to it."

Connie laughs lightly holding up her fingers on both hands curving them like bunny ears, pulls them apart, pop her pinky and thumb out, and swirls them around indicating 'cliche'.

"I'm kidding you'd never know it'll hit you when I propose."

Connie feels her insides stir in excitement just thinking about Cherry proposing to her. Connie thinks about how it'll go and what she'll say. It's too early for them to get married since they are only seventeen and have been together for a two weeks; are they even together? They never really talked about it. Connie shakes that idea out of her head and just slips Cherry's hand in hers and pulls her along.

"What are we doing in the middle of the commons?" Cherry asks looking around at all the teenagers walking around and minding their own business.

"Connie you came!" A guy with a grey beanie jogs up too the girls smiling.

They exchange a quick hug and Connie introduces Cherry to the boy. They have been friends since Connie has been doing this event for a couple years.

"So are you ready Cherry?" The boy asks turning his attention to the curious redhead.

"Ready for..."

"Connie didn't tell you?"

"No. What am I ready for?" Cherry repeats.

Connie and the boy exchanges looks.

"It's a silent rave."

Then Connie goes on to explain what it is all about the while the boy nods his head in agreement.

"So," Cherry begins excitedly, "you listen to your own music with your headphones and dance around like no one is watching? You all start at the same time and mostly every teenager in the commons is participating?"

Connie and the boy nod at the same moment.

"We are starting at three, okay?" With that the beanie boy jogs off to his other group of friends and Connie smiles at Cherry.

"I love this!" Cherry exclaims and hugs Connie. "Best surprise ever!"

Connie giggles knowing she'd love this. They wait for the signal from the boy as they plug in their headphones. Once he gives the thumbs up everyone suddenly begins dancing.

Connie watches Cherry hop up and down and twist around. Her cherry colored hair swings around her arms, her zebra print dress that's tight in all the right places flows at her thighs, the way her eyes are closed like the time they were sitting on Connie's ledge, the way her locket bounces up and down and the golden headphones that match.

She looks so beautiful and Connie has a strong feeling growing inside her. Is this what it feels like when you begin to fall for someone?