Chapter 13: A Confused Hart

A/N: there's a part where Maya sees imaginary Lucas in her head, so keep that in mind when you get to that part. Hope you kept your eyes wide open to the word in the title ;)

Maya's POV

I would never want to do anything that could end my friendship with Lucas down the road. I'm still a little confused on what to do. Now he's going to be home tomorrow and I'm freaking out a little. He's texted me multiple times and has even called me, but I couldn't bring myself to answer any of it. It's my day off so I'm lounging around the apartment today, I need a pause from reality for a minute. I went in the living room and sat on the couch and Riley was making herself breakfast.

"Morning peaches." Riley said from the kitchen.

"Hi Riles." I replied to her.

"So, have you called him yet?" She asked me with no hesitation, it was merciless how she just went for it without a second thought.

"No and I'm not going to." I said to her.

"Why not? I thought you liked him." She asked in a confused tone of voice.

"I don't know what I feel for him Riley. I also can't have you guys peer pressuring me into liking him when I don't even know what my feelings are." I explained to her in a highly annoyed tone.

"Well, I think you should get him from the airport Maya. So, you two can talk." Riley suggested to me.

"I can't."

"What do you mean you can't?" She asked and she seemed on edge suddenly.

"..I have a date?" I said quietly.

"I hope that date is with Lucas, Maya." She retorted.

"Look Riles. I don't want you getting your hopes up, okay? I honestly don't know what I feel for him. It'll come to me when the timing is right. I also can't put my life on hold for a guy that I may or may not have feelings for. Don't make this harder for me then this needs to be. I'm just confused right now." I explained to her the best way I could.

"I understand. Just remember he's not going to wait around forever." Riley said before walking in her room.

If things weren't already complicated, well, they just got even more complicated.

-the next day during Maya's date-

I didn't want to do anything special with this guy Todd. He's a nice guy and everything, but drinks on my balcony was good enough for me. The only problem is I can't concentrate on anything he's talking about... my mind goes directly to one thing... Lucas.

*daydream sequence*

"I can't believe you would rather go out with him over me." I heard Lucas's voice, I thought I must have been going insane, his flight won't be in for another 3 hours. I looked over and saw him standing there, but it was clearly my imagination.

"Would you excuse me here Ranger Rick, I'm trying to have a date here." I retorted.

"Fine, Maya. You just have to stop thinking about me and I'll disappear." I closed my eyes and when I opened them he was gone. I was listening to Todd again when Lucas reappeared, but standing closer to me this time.

"Can't do it can you?" He asked with that devilish smirk he gets.

"So I'm thinking about you Huckleberry, so what?" I said in an annoyed tone.

"I don't get it Maya, what do you see in this guy anyway?" He asked as he pointed at Todd with a confused expression on his face.

"..well, he happens to be a very nice guy.." I hesitated to say at first because I don't see anything in him. He's just my distraction.

"Maya, come on. Give us a chance." He said as his imaginary self was standing directly in front of me and had his hands on my arms.

"Lucas.. it's too hard." I replied to him and could feel my emotions building up again.

"No, no, no... why, because it might get weird for everyone else? Who cares about them! This is about us. Look, I-I've been in love with you since, like, the eighth grade." He calmly explained to me. He had a fire almost burning in his eyes, like he did the night in Texas at the campfire.

"Lucas.. you're my best friend." I relied to him.

"I know." He responded to me.

"If we broke up.. and I lost you.." I said to him as I started to trail off at a loss of words.

"Woah, woah. What makes you think we're going to break up?" He asked me.

"Well, have you ever been involved with someone where you haven't broken up?" I asked him in return. He paused for a moment before he responded.

"Look, you and I both know we are perfect for each other, right? I mean... so, the only question is... are you attracted to me?" He answered my question with a question.

"I don't know, I mean, I haven't looked at you that way since eighth grade Lucas." I said softly.

"Well, start looking." He said as he pulled my face to his and kissed me. Like that he was gone, like he wasn't here.

*end daydream sequence*

"Wow." I said loudly.

"I'm sorry what?" Todd asked me.

"I'm sorry Todd, I can't do this." I replied to him.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"This date. I can't do it. I forgot I had prior plans I have to be at. I'm sorry, I have to go." I said as I climbed back through the window and into the apartment.

I headed to my room without saying anything to anyone that was here. I shut the door and changed out of this dress into jeans, a cute top and a hoodie. I grabbed my phone off the charger then grabbed my purse and headed towards the front door.

"Maya what's going on?" Riley stopped me when I was almost out.

"Nothing is going on I just really need to get to the airport." I replied.

"You look like you've been crying." Riley said to me with concern in her eye.

"I'm sorry Riles. Everything has been so confusing lately and everything hit me so fast. I just, really need to go, I need to see him." I replied to her.

"Hey Smackle, do you have your grandmothers taxi tonight?" Riley asked Smackle who was sitting in the chair in the living room.

"Yeah, why?" She answered her.

"Take Maya to the airport." Riley demanded.

"Well.. Smackle how fast are you willing to go?" I asked her.

"Please, you don't even know who you're talking to, let's go." She said as she grabbed her things and we headed out the door.

Now all I can think about is getting to Lucas. I need him. I can't believe I was too blind to see  what's been standing right in front of me this whole time. I know what I want now and it's Lucas, it's always been Lucas.