Ch. 7 The Trial

Ch 7

Draco’s POV

After Ginny left, I was free to be with Hermione. We snuggled on the couch and watched some muggle movie that neither of us really paid attention to. After the movie was done, we got up to take showers. Separately, of course. It was a nice evening, barring the morning's atrocities. Eventually, we both fell asleep, still on the couch.

I awoke with a crick in my neck and Mione laying over one of my arms. It was asleep. I could definitely get used to this. “Morning.” I said, sleepily.

“Morning.” she yawned. “What time is it?”

I checked my watch. “Eight thirty. We have to be at the Ministry by ten.”

“Alright.” she said, sitting up. “Then I get the bathroom first.” She bolted out of bed.

I laughed. I managed to get out of bed and find a button down, a pair of black pants, and a tie. By the time I was done changing, Hermione was out. I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and fixed my hair. Even I had to say that I looked good. I smiled at myself and strode out the door. I went to wait in the common room for Hermione. When she came out, she looked incredible. She was wearing a black skirt and a white button down. We made quite a pair.

“You look wonderful.” I said, kissing her on the cheek.

“You do too.” She replied. “What time is it?”

“Nine thirty. We should be there a bit early…” I said.

She smiled. “Let’s go, then.” She took hold of my hand and we apparated to the ministry. 

When we went to the lady at the front desk, she took one look at me before saying, “Lucius Malfoy’s trial is on the fourth floor, room number seven.”

“Thank you.” I said, and walked briskly towards the elevator. After thirty seconds of terrible music, we were there. We walked in the door and I saw my mother. We went to go sit with her. “Hello, mother.” I said, giving her a hug.

“Draco, dear. How have you been?”

“I’ve been doing well. And you?”

“Alright.” She said. She looked tired-not sad; actually, she looked rather relieved. “Mother, I’d like you to meet my... Never mind what she is, this is Hermione.”

“Pleasure to meet you, dear.” My mother said.

“It’s nice to meet you, too.” Mione said.

“Well, it looks like the trial is about to begin," I said, sitting down. Hermione sat down next to me.

Then Kingsley Shacklebolt’s voice boomed out over everyone. “We are here now today to decide the fate of Lucius Malfoy. He was a Death eater, and many innocent people have lost their lives to him. Bring out the prisoner!” Two men in ministry outfits walked a very pale looking man with dirty, greasy blonde hair and a grimy face. After they forced him into a chair, thick chains wrapped around him. He turned towards me and I could do nothing but stare at his appearance. His eyes were sunken in, and he had the beginnings of a beard. To be honest, he looked horrible. “Before we vote, a quick reminder. Red sparks for life in Azkaban, Black for the Dementors kiss. Before whichever one of these is carried out, any family members present will be allowed to speak to him.” Before turning to look at Kingsley, he glared at me one last time. Thankfully, he didn’t notice Hermione. Not that much would have happened if he had.

“Do your worst.” he sneered.

Kingsley looked pityingly at my father. He raised his wand. “Three, two, one.” Black sparks flew out of the wands of everyone present. My father didn't even twitch. He knew the consequences.  He knew this would happen. “The decision has been made. This trial is officially over.” Kingsley finished. Everyone filed out of the doors. My father was led through a separate door to a holding cell. Kingsley walked up to us and said, “If either of you wish to talk to him, come with me.” We all followed. We stopped outside the door.