Ch. 27 Graduation

Ch. 27

Draco’s POV

“It’s been a wonderful seven years, and I know I’ll miss all of you.” Hermione finished. She had written out and memorized her speech, whereas I had just decided to make it up as I went along. I was seriously starting to regret it now. Everyone clapped for her as she went to sit down. My turn. I stood up.

“It’s been a great year, I think, for all of us. For the past couple of years it has been difficult, but we worked past it, and now we are stronger because of it. As Professor Dumbledore said, “Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.” And each and every one of you chose to do the right thing. Perhaps I cannot say the same thing for myself, but I can say for a fact that all of you are the strongest, bravest, and the best people that I have ever met, and I am truly honored to be up here speaking. Thank you.”

I sat back down as everyone applauded. If I had given a speech anytime last year no one would have clapped for me, but over this year I think everyone had realized that maybe I wasn’t a terrible person.

“Well, now that all the speeches are over I do believe that there is a party.” McGonagall said, her eyes twinkling. “I won’t keep you, go on. Except for you two.” She pointed at Hermione and me.

With a cheer, everyone poured out. They were officially done with school.

“I’m afraid that Professor Simmons (that was the DADA Professor) has had a nervous breakdown.”

“Okay?” I said, a questioning note in my tone.

“He’s been telling anyone who would listen about your…Ability.”

“Ah.”

“I just wanted you to be prepared when people start asking. Wonderful speeches, by the way. Although I must say Hermione’s was a but more prepared.”

“I wonder why that would be.” Hermione smiled sweetly, elbowing me in the ribs.

“Well, off you two go.” she shooed us away. We walked into the Great Hall, which looked nothing like it had that morning. It looked a bit like Blaise’s house: covered in streamers, balloons, decorations, with huge tables of delicious looking food scattered around. Hermione and I walked around, chatting, saying how much we were going to miss people, and that’s when the questions started.

“The DADA professor said that you could do wandless magic.” I heard someone ask.

“Yes.” I turned around, facing Lavender Brown. Oh God, she was almost as bad as Parkinson.

“So it’s true then? You can?”

“That’s what I said.”

“Oh my God! That’s incredible! Maybe-”