Chapter 13

"I should have."

I whipped my head towards him to find him already staring back, inches away. His eyes glanced down to my lips, and back to my eyes. I found myself leaning in, wanting nothing more than his lips on mine. My eyes fluttered shut, waiting for our lips to meet-

"The back door was unlocked, Leia!"

Our eyes popped open, and we immediately jumped off the bed. Ben began to breathe heavily, knowing his mother was down the hall. Concern filled me, "What do you want to do?"

He turned to me, shocked. "You're giving me a choice?"

"What did you expect? Be quick, though!"

Hearing slow footsteps coming towards the door, Ben helped me slide underneath the bed, joining me shortly afterwards. Due to the little room, we invaded each other's space. The door slid open, two pairs of feet entering. I could tell that one pair belonged to Leia, and I'd guess the other would be Luke.

Luke's voice came out, "Where would they have gone? The falcon is in the back.." 

"I hope Jane is okay.. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if Kylo Ren hurt her."

Ben took a sharp inhale of breath. I grabbed his hand, and held his face with the other, forcing him to look at me. His worried eyes drowned in mine. 

"The mission was a stupid idea. I shouldn't have put Jane in danger. He killed his own father, how could Ben still be alive?" 

"It's okay, Leia. We will find him, and bring him to justice. He will not escape the consequences."

They both began to exit the house, Leia turned back, "I just hope it's not too late to save Jane."

After the door closed, Ben's eyes teared. I moved closer, holding his head in my hands, and whispered, "Ben. It's okay, okay? You have me. We just.. have to be quiet for little longer. They're still in the house."

He nodded his head, "I just... didn't think she'd give up on me."

I wish I could hold him, to let him know that I haven't given up on him, but we both barely fit underneath the bed. It'll just have to wait...

As we laid there in silence, we could hear Luke and Leia's conversation. "They are obviously still here somewhere. We can look around the village with the limited daylight left, and look again tomorrow." 

"Okay, Luke. I'm going to go check Jane's old house. You are in charge of the resistance volunteers in the back. Split them up and have them look around."

Ben's eyes widened, "There's more than Leia and Luke???" 

"Shhh! Just a second," the second the back door closed, I started pushing Ben out. Once we both crawled out from underneath the bed, we headed towards the small closet in the room. Ben got in first, seeing that he's the biggest, and then I sat between his legs, laying my back against his chest. We closed the door, and Ben said, "What do we do? They're going to be everywhere and I doubt they won't find us eventually."

I sighed, "What if we stayed here until night, then while they're all sleeping, we could go hide in my house?"

"There probably will be people on watch, though."

"Do you want to sit here for two days?"

"No-"

"That's what I thought. Let's wait until an opportune moment arises, and then we'll sneak over to my house."

We sat there for what felt days, but was actually just hours. The sun had finally fallen, and the sound of the Resistance echoed outside. I could by the high level of chatting that they discontinued the search for the day and were preparing for supper, then sleep. 

The house has been completely silent, since Leia and Luke left. We still stayed in our spots, afraid of being spotted from the window. Ben played with hair as I laid on his chest. "Look, I made a little braid." Ben presented the section of my hair he had been playing with.

"Congrats. You are so talented."

"Shut up. What else am I supposed to do?" 

"I don't know."

Silence filled the little closet. My legs, restless, moved around. "I am so uncomfortable."

I finally had enough, so I turned around, straddling Ben's waist. He laughed, "Comfortable now?"

I smiled at him, "Why, yes I am. You?"

"Yeah, I'm good."

I inspected his face, every freckle, every scar. Specifically the the one that went across his face. "How'd you get that scar? Why haven't I noticed it?"

My fingers traced it, waiting for Ben to answer. "A resistance girl... Rey? I think that's her name. Know her?"

"I don't know her, but I know of her. Did it hurt?"

He mumbled, "Wasn't too bad.."

"You can admit that it hurt."

He smiled at me, "Fine. It hurt."

I ran my hands through his hair, feeling its softness. "Your hair is soft."

"Yours is, too."

"Must be some magical First Order shampoo."

Our conversation was ripped from us. In the next moment, everything was torn apart.

"I found them!"