Homecoming

Ash POV - Italics mean flashback

It has been a while since I have left Pallet Town again to start my journey here in Alola. Actually, not a while, a REALLY long time. I've been here in Alola for about 2 years now. I really enjoy it here, but recently, after I finished up the island challenges, I've just been wandering around enjoying the warm sun and catching more pokemon. I think it's time that I finally start to head home - even though every time I think of going home I instantly remember what happened before I left and I then never want to go back to Pallet ever again. But I miss all of my friends, and especially my mom. She would love to see me right about now. I know she misses me. I miss her too. I need to stop pushing my problems away, or else I'm not going to be happy. I tell myself this, not even listening to what I said. Without even thinking, I start to pack my bags and head off back to Pallet.

I arrive to Pallet around 8 in the morning, just in time to have a whole day to see everyone and reminisce about old times before I had to leave. Once I got off of the boat, my stomach instantly knotted up and twisted and turned as I take each individual step. I dread running into him. As much as I want to see him and talk to him, he probably won't want to see me. Not after what happened. I slowly reach my house from the outskirts of Pallet, ecstatic to be back. I grab the spare key that mom had always kept in the garden, I push it into the doorknob and enter.

The sweet scent that my Mom always kept the house smelling nice with, hit me in the face as soon as I enter. I missed this smell. It made we want to cry before even seeing my mother.

"..Ash?" I hear my mom ask, not sure if it was her son or an intruder. "MOM! I've missed you so much!" I scream as I run up to her, already in tears. She looks older, but still has that glow from when she was young that really made her look absolutely beautiful.

"How have you been? This is so unexpected!" She muffles while she hugs me. "It's been so fun to be in Alola, and I've been doing great." I say, even though I lied about the last part. The truth is I haven't been doing great, and sadly it's because I'm currently in Pallet. I'm so confused, because I want to be happy to be back, but I'm not.

"That's wonderful! You must of met so many new Pokemon and friends! I hope you have a lot of stories to tell me, because I really want to know how your experience was!" she exclaims, walking towards the kitchen to make some breakfast.

I nod, watching her begin to cook. My thoughts trail off as I go into the living room and sit on the sofa. I begin to replay exactly what happened the day I left.

This is it. This is the day I'm finally leaving for Alola! I'm so excited, I might just faint. I just got done packing my bags when my mother comes into my room. She has a sad expression on her face, though I can tell that she's happy for me to go and challenge the 4 islands. Without any words, I go up to her and hug her while I kissed her cheek. "I promise that I will be back in no time. I love you and thank you for always being here for me and supporting me on my journeys" I manage to say, almost crying as I get up to leave. I plan to leave around noon, and I was just about to head out when there was a knock at the door. My mother had just went into her room, so I decided to see who it was. I open the door to see two deep brown eyes gaze into mine.

"Oh. Hey Gary." I say. I hadn't said goodbye to him yet. We've just became friends again after our silly rivalry, and after I left Sinnoh. We were close, yet I still managed to forget to say goodbye. Good thing he was here. Gary stood there, with a pained expression on his face.

"So you're really leaving again, huh Ashy-boy?" he manages to say. He says it in a way that sounded disappointed but also with a hint of laughter. I knew Gary wanted me to pursue my dreams, but he didn't want to lose a friend. Neither did I. But I was still contemplating whether to tell him that I wanted to be more than friends. It was true that he was my best friend, but I wanted more than that. I wanted to be his lover. His boyfriend. The one who he spends every day with. Though we already had spent everyday together ,there were no kisses or cuddles included. As far as I knew, Gary didn't swing that way. It made my heart ache, but I didn't want to ruin a long lasting friendship.

"Yeah! It's going to be great... although I'm going to miss you a lot. We've gotten so close.." I utter, scared to see what Gary would say next.

"I'm going to miss you too, Ash" he says sincerely. "We can always text each other, so it will be fine" he says again with optimism. Even though we both know we will be in contact, it  just won't be the same as hanging out everyday. There was a dead silence after this, just both of us staring at each other. His eyes are so beautiful. His body is beautiful. Everything about Gary is beautiful. I couldn't control myself as my heart started beating really fast and I was starting to blush. I want to say bye, but I can't. Without realizing I inch closer and kiss him on the lips. It wasn't long, maybe like 5 seconds. All Gary did was stand there as I kissed him. He seemed frozen into place. I pull back to see a blank expression on his face. He turns around and runs as fast as a Rapidash. I can't comprehend what had just happened. I have to leave at that exact moment or I would have broke down even more.