Chapter 28: The Girls Can't know

After watching my father disappear behind the crowd, I out my problems to the back of my head and continue singing many more songs, a mix of covers and personals. People had even put in tens by the end of the day. Once the crowd had thinned out considerably, I realised it was well time to get to work at the cafe. Maybe if I ask, I can get weekends and Mondays at Lainey's place. Surely she won't mind. Wait, today's Juvia swim match. Sugar, I better hurry up! I thought while walking down to the train station, my guitar on my back and money in my beanie, which was being clutched tightly by my freezing hands so I wouldn't drop any. I'll need to buy gloves if I plan on doing this again. Frost bite isn't fun. Rubbing my hands together, pulling my jacket around me, I walked up the steps of the train station. "Speak of the devil." I muttered, walking passed a souvenir shop. I quickly ran in and bought a pair of finger less gloves. "And I don't look homeless at all." I sighed, looking down at my freezing body. 

While waiting for the train, I heard loud laughter. I turned to see who I could judge when my heart shattered. It was Sting, his arm around Rogue, and Yukino hugging Rufus, two more of my close friends I met through Sting, close to her. It seemed they were going on a double date. "He got over that quickly." I muttered to myself, my hands dropping to my sides. That's when Sting looked in my direction, unintentionally making eye contact. I quickly removed his arm from Rogue and put his hand behind his head, blushing. He looked so warm with his thick coat and scarf. I only rolled my eyes to try and stop the tears going to fall and went to get my train ticket. "Lu-sama! I haven't seen you in ages!" Yukino squealed, running up to me. I forgot how excitable she could be. I put on a smile through the pain and turned around again. "Yuki! How are you?" The corner of my mouth twitched as she hugged me. "I'm great! How's it like being back on the market." She nudged me playfully, but it felt like she was stabbing me in the heart. "I'm surprised you haven't got another man hanging off your arm by now. I mean, you've been separated since fall break, right?" She asked me innocently. Whatever information she heard, it was definitely incorrect. I shot a shocked, mixed with murderous, glare at Sting. He looked like he was about to tell Yukino to stop before she dug a bigger hole. "Lucy, it's not what it sounds like. Really." My ex, cheating, boyfriend panicked, stepping closer. "How long Sting? How fucking long have you been lying to me?" Tears were building up, and fast. Yukino and Rufus looked amazingly shocked as the boyfriend pulled his girlfriend out of the line of fire. "I promise it wasn't as long as it sounded. I-I had to confess first. Then Rogue thought about it for a bit. Well, a long time, a really long time. We were going to wait for Juvia and him to break up. We didn't want to hu-." I cut him off. "That doesn't make things better! You played me on! Made me think I could trust you! If you didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, just tell me! It's not that hard!" I screamed, tears falling down my eyes. "But, you had to wait until now, didn't you!? The worst time of year! If you had really cared about not hurting anyone, you would've seen or even asked what's been going on with me the past couple days. But no, you only cared about this!" I screamed again, tear s falling like sakura petals in the spring as I stepped up to him. "Lu, I'm sorry." He mumbled, looking really guilty. "Don't 'Lu' me! You really think I'm going to forgive you after what you did!" I cried. "I really am sor-." I cut him off with a rough, loud slap to his face. "You're lucky I'm tired. Or you wouldn't be walking to a couple weeks. Don't talk to me ever again." I glared daggers at him and ran off, clutching my hat as I jumped on the train.

When I got to school, I was still teary eyed and cold. "It's always so damn cold these days." I mumbled, wind blowing through the gym door as I opened it. It didn't look like the girls had arrived yet. "They're probably in the changing rooms." I thought to myself, heading for said place just off the swimming pool. "LUCY!" They all screamed, all hugging me at once. "Hi guys." I smiled, my voice a little croaky from crying, my eyes still probably red. "Wow, you really are ill. You shouldn't have come if you're not up to it." Erza put the back of her hands on my cheeks to check my temperature. Of course, I was freezing. I had put my beanie in my guitar case to hide it from them. The girls can't know anything about this. "I'm fine. Much better than this morning." I lied. I was in a worse mood than before. "Anyway, take it easy. We can't have you falling in the pool." Levy joked, taking my guitar case off my back. "Woah, this is heavier than usual. Are you sure you're not stashing any money." She joked again, not realising she had hit the nail on the head. "Funny."  I shook my head sarcastically.