Chapter 3

Faythe~

“Palo, I think I’m a vampire.” I said the words quickly, like I was ripping a band-aid off my sensitive skin.

I watched his face on the screen. His face showed no emotion, but I knew he was probably thinking of what to say. Does he still want to go through with the pact? But instead of answering my internal question, he said, “Um...Faythe?” He pointed behind me, and that’s when I turned around to see my mom behind me. She looked shocked and slightly hurt. I turned back to the screen. “I’ll talk to you later, Palo.”

“Okay, Faythe,” he replied simply but sympathetically. We hung up, and I motioned my mom into my blue, black and white room. She sat on my bed wordlessly, which made me worried. “Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked, trying to hide her shock and hurt. “I told you before that if you became a vampire, I wouldn’t kill you unless you seemed to be a threat.”

I offered a sad smile. “I only discovered it this morning, and even so, I wasn’t certain. I was thinking about it all day.” I gave a silent sigh before I continued. “ I trust all of you, and I was going to tell you once I was absolutely certain that I was a vampire.” Even though I had no reason to cry, I was struggling to hold back tears. Mom saw me and asked me if I needed a hug. I decided to accept her offer and enjoyed her comforting embrace. Just in that moment, an inexplicable pang passed through my body. I suddenly needed blood, but not desperately. Even if I just made the discovery, my body somehow knew what it needed, just like with all my other needs and wants. I pulled back a little so that I could exit and leave the room so that Mom wasn’t in danger. However, when I was about to tell her about me needing to leave, she startled as soon as we made eye contact. I felt fangs began to protrude from my gums. Mom jumped from the bed and ran out of the room. Oh no, I thought. She probably sees me as a threat right now. I grabbed my suitcase from my closet and began throwing clothes, money, and other essential and personal belongings in it. I heard her run back down the hall, followed up behind my little sister, asking what was wrong. I have to go now! I grabbed a hoodie and ran out to my balcony, and jumped just as soon my mom came running into the room with a steak knife and a chair leg that broke from it’s original home, just as I am right now. Since I don’t know exactly where Palo is right now, I’m going to have to go to Becka’s house until the morning. Turning back one last time to have a last look at the house, I started on my trip to my best girlfriend’s house. Off I go. I wish it wasn’t so soon though. Especially like this.