Wait...What

I didn't respond; I didn't know how to. I stared at him as he continued to hold my wrist.

He had shaggy brown hair that swept over his forehead, nearly falling into his eyes. His nose was a little crooked and led down to a pair of pale pink lips.

His red polo shirt clung around his chest and was tucked into a pair of jeans. He stared back at me, waiting for me to say something.

Why was Rose being so quiet. A small panic overtook me. Just a few seconds ago, she felt weird and now she isn't responding to our mate.

Rose?

he is our mate She responded quietly.

Granted, I had only a general idea of what to expect; The sparks, the smell, the wolf's response. I guess the party has me on sensory overload or something.

I can feel the sparks on my arm, forming from where he grabbed me, but I still only smell the sweaty bodies that danced around us.

I glanced over to where Jenna and Ian were, but they aren't there anymore. Did they see him approach me and hear him say mate?

"My name is Jackson Rayne. I'm from the Red Moon pack." He smiled widely, showing me all his teeth. I waited for a reaction from my heart or my wolf, but I'm still on an overload.

"Aspen Mathers." I gave a smile in return.

"Well, Happy Birthday beautiful. Hopefully I am an awesome gift" He gestures to himself with a smug smile and I can't help but laugh a little at the joke but I honestly don't have a response.

Its true I was hoping to find my mate, but is it weird to say that I didn't expect it to happen so soon?

I can feel my wolf pacing around in my mind still acting weird. Must be a late delay to finding our mate. Wow, that was even weirder to say then I thought it would be.

He pulls me into him for a hug and I wrap my arms around him in response. He lays his head on my shoulder before pulling away with a smirk on his face.

"Let's dance. I want to show off my mate to everyone" I give him a small smile and nod as he pulls me to the center of the room.

Again, my wolf gets more agitated, but I chalk it up to the fact that my mates body is pressed against mine as we dance to Uma Thurman by Fallout Boy.

We need to get to your room Rose tells me suddenly.

Why? I don't understand her at all. Earlier she practically was begging for a mate and now he is here and she wants to go to my room?

"I'm just going to go freshen up." I lean up and kiss him gently on his cheek.

My wolf still hasn't answered, but my feet start moving faster. I look to Jackson and see him talking to a group of people. He sure seems friendly, and who is that girl he is whispering something to?!

It doesn't matter right now, move faster! Rose yells. Geez, what's gotten into her?

I take the stairs two at a time and open my bedroom door quickly. My breath catches at the sight in front of me.

"I'm sorry to drag you away from your party,but I am glad your wolf heard my call." I stare wide eyed at the strange woman and can't help but smile slightly at her musical voice before looking her over.

She is wearing a long white dress that flows from the tight fitted bodice. A white hooded cloak is tied securely around her neck and her long raven black hair falls in beautiful waves down her back. A small smile graces her lips and her chocolate brown eyes stare at me like she knows all my secrets.

She continues to stand there looking at me, probably waiting for me to respond. No words form at all. I can just imagine myself looking like a fish out of water.

"My gift looks beautiful on you. I am sorry about not being here to give it to you, but something had changed and I had to see what. But I did make sure you put it on." She approaches me slowly, cupping the locket gently in her hands.

"This is from you? How did you know I would put it on?" I reach back to unclasp it, so that I can inspect it better, but it doesn't work.

I try tugging on it, but it is like I can't get a grasp on it. My eyes widen again as I stare at the mysterious woman standing in front of me. She sees what I am trying to do and a knowing smile graces her features.

"I made you put it on, you just don't remember. Only that it was on after you saw the box." I nodded slowly, shocked because that is almost exactly what happened. "It won't come off. Not until you are marked and fully mated that is." She smiles and motions for me to sit on the bed "I don't have a lot of time, but I have a lot to tell you"

I cross the room cautiously and sit at the very edge of my bed, trying to make sense of whatever is happening. Maybe I am asleep.

"You probably will have more questions and I wish I could answer them all, but like I said something has changed and it isn't for the better." she inhales a deep breath before giving me a grim smile.

"The locket is for you and your mate. Chosen specifically for you. Many are looking for this so you must keep it safe. Although no one will be able to take it off you and you can't remove it either, doesn't mean it is safe. It will come off as I said, when you are marked and fully mated, whether from your destined mate or not." My eyes widen at her words.

I open my mouth to speak, but she raises her hand quickly to silence me.

"The locket holds a power that has been highly sought after for hundred of years. Many wish to claim the power as their own, so I kept it hidden until the right pair of mates was chosen. But evil will always lurk around the corner. The minute you put it on, those who seek it for evil became aware that it is out of hiding. Although they don't know who specifically has it, it won't take them long."

"Wait.. What?" my mind is reeling.

What kind of power? Evil and I was chosen?

"It's not safe here right now. When you put it on, they got a general location. You need to run until you think you're safe."

Run until I think I am safe? How will I know when I am safe? What exactly is this power and what has changed? I don't think I have ever been this confused in my life. And this mysterious woman is only making it worse.

"There was a Prophecy about gaining power. Power that can potentially defeat evil, but with what has changed, I fear that the power might fall into the wrong hands, so please be careful, my child. Take nothing at face value."

A loud crash and shouting sounds from downstairs. My heart begins to pound and voices begin to flood the mind link. There is too many people yelling at once, I can't keep up with what is happening.

Screams begin to echo through the house followed by dozens of growls. I need to help, I need to get down there. My parents, Jenna and Ian, they're all down there... my mate is down there. I stand to rush out the door, but a cool hand reaches out and grabs my wrist, pulling me to face her instead.

"I'm sorry, but you need to run. Now" She pushes me towards the window.

She quickly opens my windows and looks at me. The growls keep getting louder and the link is flooded with calls for help. Tears start to form in my eyes, am I really going to run away?

"I know this is hard, Aspen. But please remember what I said, You need to keep this safe. So block your link, jump out the window, shift and run. Don't look back until you are safe."

Tears roll down my cheeks as I nod gently. I jump through the window, shifting in mid air. The silver dress that I loved, shredded around me and the pieces fall gently to the ground. My big silver paws hit the ground with a thud and I take off running.

The sounds of screams and fighting being left behind in the distance.