Dash

I tried to go towards the howl, but Reed grabbed my tail keeping me in place.

I turned and snapped my jaws at him, but he just stared at me.

"You can't go out there Aspen, there might still be rogues in the trees. My patrols are checking the perimeter."

He's right, the rogues might still be out there. What if they go after my pack?

A whimper escapes my throat at the thought of them in danger.

"Go change, they're almost here." he runs hos hand along my side as he grabs some clothes from behind a tree.

I take the clothes between my teeth and trot to a bigger tree that will hide me from view.

The sound of paws hitting the ground echoes through the trees and my heart beats in excitement.

"Welcome, I am Alpha Kennedy. I am glad you made it safely."

"Thank you, Alpha. Where is Aspen?" Ethan, the head warrior gets straight to the point, obviously still apprehensive about the situation.

I quickly pull the baggy clothes on, rolling the shorts a little so they stay on my waist.

I step out from behind the tree and straight towards them. My eyes meet those of my Beta and I get ahead of myself and run straight to him. He catches me in his arms effortlessly, hugging me close.

"You're here! You're okay!" I squeal and run into his arms.

I am so relieved to see that Ian is okay!

"Penny, you have no idea how worried we have all be-"

A monstrous growl echoed through the trees and before I can even question it, I was ripped out of Ian's arms and into a firm, yet tingly, embrace.

"MINE!" Reed's eyes are pitch black as he lets a small growl with every exhaled breath. 

I glimpse at Ian and the warriors to see that they have matching faces of confusion. No doubt thinking about Jackson​.

I wonder if that is what I looked like when I first heard him call me his?

We need to calm him down, Aspen. Rose says. 

How do you expect me to do that?!

Just get his attention

Get his attention... even though he want to kill Ian. Seems easy enough, note the sarcasm.

Without much thought, I grab his face between my hands and force him to look at me. 

It takes a few seconds for his attention to focus on me,  but when it does it is like everyone else has disappeared.

"Hi, I don't know your name?" Just from his eyes,  I can tell that Reed has no control and his wolf is staring at me.

"Dash. But for you, Beautiful, I will answer to anything you want to call me." his voice is husky and deeper than normal.

Rose respond immediately with a growl of approval, while I just suppress a shudder of pleasure.

"Dash, can I please have Reed back?"

"Say my name again, Princess" He growls lowly with approval.

"Dash" I breath out, suddenly feeling a little uncomfortable when I remember we aren't alone "Please give Reed back."

He buries his face in my neck and takes a few deep breaths, taking in my scent. I need to remember to ask him what I smell like. I know it's weird but I am generally curious.

He pulls away and his black eyes meet mine, before he places a soft kiss on my cheek. A warm feeling erupts in my stomach and my breath hitches in my throat. When he pulls back again, his eyes are melting back to honey.

"Aspen" Someone clears their throat and I turn to see Ian giving me a clear 'What-the-hell-was-that' look.

"Let's go inside and talk." Much to his protests and pouts, I untangle myself from Reed and walk towards the house.

I don't have any idea what to tell them. Should I mention that a mystery woman showed up well we were getting attacked, gave me a magic necklace that I can't take off, told me not to mate with anyone but my mate and the power of the locket would be ours.

Oh and by the way, there are two guys saying I am their mate and I feel the sparks with both.

Yeah, that will go well.

Reed ushers us into a windowless room and gestures for us to sit. There is nothing in this room but a long table with about twenty chairs around it.

"Where is my Dad?" I ask Ian as we walk to our seats.

Reed sits at the head of the table and everyone else just grabs a seat. I go to sit by Ian but Reed is by my side instantly, pulling me to an empty chair next to him.

"There was a lead on who attacked us that required his attention. He sent me specific instructions. So what's going on, Aspen?" Ian's voice cuts through the silence and stares directly at me.

I collect my thoughts for a moment. Last thing I need to just blurt things out of the blue. I need to have an outline of where to start and how to phrase it -

"Aspen is my mate" Reed says.

I guess that is one way to start, but I let him know with my face, I am not happy with his blunt approach.

"WHAT?!" Ian both yelled/growled at the same time while the warriors gasped.

I can't help but shot an 'I-told-you-so' glance at Reed. This is what I was trying to avoid and no, he didn't ask before he blurt it out, I know he knew I was thinking how to approach this subject.

"I don't know what is going on. I know that you are thinking of Jackson."

Reed lets a threatening growl and glares daggers at Ian. I can tell Ian is taken aback so I smack Reed on the shoulder, forcing him to look at me.

"Stop giving Ian that look, he didn't do anything!"

"That's not the other wolf I have to kill for trying to take you away from me?" I stare at him, slightly shocked by his words, before slowly shaking my head no.

Does he mean that? Would he kill Jackson because he is my mate?

"Penny, it's impossible to have two mates. What does Rose say?" Ian looks respectfully at me and I know it is because of Reed, but I want to tell him to knock it off.

As far as I can tell they are both our mates. I honestly don't know. We are attracted to both. She sighs dejectedly.

It's okay Rose, We will figure it out together. I can feel her retreating to the furthest corner of my mind, and blocking me out.

"She's as confused as the rest of us." I sigh.

Everyone is silent as we think of different solutions. Once again my dad breaks the silence.

"Well, Aspen, Your father was clear in his order. You are to come home with me."

I don't even think his words registered in my brain before Reed shifts into his wolf.