The Wolf says otherwise

After about ten minutes of a mind numbing make out with my mate, I finally was able to convince him to let us leave the room.

It is still so weird to say; My mate. I should be beyond happy, if not for one tiny little problem. Or should I say, wolf.

Let's go talk to Jackson. I hate the thought of him in the cells. Rose has not stopped asking to see Jackson since he was sent to the cells.

He isn't our mate.

He still feels like our mate. She whispers quietly before retreating to the corner of my mind.

Dammit, she is right and I hate it. Why can't I just be with Reed now? Don't I deserve the happily ever after that I have dreamed of?

"Aspen!" Strong, tingly hands wrapped around my wrist and quickly pulled me to the left into a firm chest.

Reed's honey eyes met mine and his hands held my face firmly as he looked me over weirdly. He cocks an eyebrow as she stares at me.

"Did you not see the wall?"

"Um, no sorry. I was lost in my thoughts." I grin sheepishly, wrapping my own hands around his wrists.

"What's wrong, baby?" his eyes held a deep concern as he twisted his hands to hold mine.

"I-"

"Aspen!" I was caught off guard when I was tackled into a tight hug.

"Ian told me everything! When were you going to come and find me to introduce me!" Jenna said excitedly bouncing us up and down.

I pulled away slightly with a shy smile at I looked towards Reed. He stood there looking less than pleased, with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Jen, I told you to leave them alone." Ian appeared from nowhere and pulled us apart.

Jenna rolled her eyes at her mate and stuck her hand out to Reed. 

"Jenna. This one's beta." she tilts her head towards me with a smile.

Reed looks like he is about to say finding but thinks better of it,  before shaking her hand.

"Reed Kennedy. Alpha of Shadow Wolves."

"Nice to meet you. I know it's been crazy but we should all-"

I'm worried about Jackson. Can't we please just check on him?

No, Rose. He isn't our mate. Reed is. What is wrong with you?

She only whimpered as a response. I thought she would be happy. All we've ever wanted was a mate and he is here now.

"Are you alright, Penny?" Ian's eyes held concern when I met his gaze.

Before he could step forward, Reed growled and rushed in front of me.

We'll leave you two alone. But we need to double date soon. Jenna's voice sounded in my head.

"Please tell me what is wrong?" Reed whispered, kissing my forehead, before pulling me into a hug.

My cheek rested against his chest. I can't talk him, can I? What should i even say, 'I can't stop thinking of Jackson.'

Somehow, I don't think that will end well for us.

"I just want answers." technically, I'm not lying.

Reed's arms tighten around me and a small growl rumbles through his chest.

"What are you asking, exactly." he spoke carefully like he knows the answer to the question.