Epilogue

2 years later.

The sunlight shines on my face through the curtains that Reed must have opened. He loves to make sure that I actually get up in the morning instead of sleeping in. One day a week, is that too much to ask for?

I don't think so. Rose grumbles, annoyed with our mate as well.

I get out of bed, wrapping my robe around myself before walking towards the smell coming from the kitchen. 

I was worried about building a house for us, I'm not going to lie. I've never actually had to build anything before and the idea was daunting. So much could go wrong with the build and the blueprints alone that Reed drew up with what input I had wanted in a house, were confusing to even look at.

But I know better than to underestimate my mate. Between him, my dad, and men from both packs, our little compound was born. And a compound it is. At first, the idea was not received well, but the more I defended it, the more the others started to come around to the ideas.

We sit an equal distance from both Moonstone and Shadow wolves, in the mountains as I suggested. The sunrises are breathtaking and when the snow falls, it's as magical as a winter wonderland.

A solid twelve-foot wall completely surrounds the entire perimeter of the land that we have claimed. The house Reed had built is a modest one story, with three bedrooms, a wrap-around porch, and floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room that you can see out of but not into.

As Alphas, Gage and Ian had asked for volunteers to live here for our protection. The response was overwhelming but I was firm on no families. I was adamant that only unmated wolves (male or female) and when the first one had found their mate a few weeks later by a rogue who sought our help, Reed and I gave them our blessings and sent them back to their home pack.

To our surprise, Unmated wolves from all over started to arrive to offer their protection. It seemed word had started to spread about what we were and what we could do and they felt it an honor to serve us.

We had to build a few other buildings, all one story that can house up to ten people in each scattered around. As more wolves come, we would build more, but lately, there has been a balance. It seems for every few that come, there is a few that leave with their newly found mates.

The best part - Reed got to be an Alpha after all. There was a certain light to his face as our numbers started to grow, looking to Reed for leadership. Of course, he stepped up instantly, ready with plans for routes, secret codes, a name for the compound - even traditions. Every full moon, we set up a bonfire in the center of the compound.

They also built a meeting hall of sorts away from the house, closer to the one and only gate into the compound. I was against this idea because it seemed to Royal. As if peasants were coming to see the reigning monarch for help or money. I never felt that we were any type of royalty.

"I agree with you, love," Reed said as we stood in the middle of the unfurnished room, "but we have to think of our safety. We can't exactly invite them into the house for brunch while we help them,"

He was right and I knew it so I stopped fighting it. 

"Well isn't this a surprise," I say, wrapping my arms around a shirtless Reed who is flipping pancakes on the stove, "To what do I owe this special treat, Alpha?"

Reed growls, holding my wrist and turning in my arms to press a firm kiss to my lips. It's always like the first kiss; Butterflies erupt in my belly and every touch of his fingertips leaves goosebumps along my skin.

I pull away, my head snapping towards the left as if I had been called. A prickling sense of awareness that I have begun to get used to the last few years, filling my body. Like when you know someone is watching you or you just feel something is off in the air.