One last chance

There is no unlearning something. It's practically embedded into your brain and as Jaclyn and I navigate the tunnels in silence, my mind is chaotic and noisy.

How many people were left here and forgotten about? Did they have families that don't know what happened to them? Are their remains hidden in the shadows, where I refuse to look?

I don't even know how long we have been down here. Has it been minutes or an hour? All I know is it has been too long. I need fresh air more than I have needed anything else. I need to be out of these tunnels that feel of death and decay.

I need to be home, safe in Reed's arms.

"Where do these tunnels lead to?" My words slice through the air, echoing off the confined space. A chill runs down my spine as I think of people down here crying out and that echo the last thing they hear.

I can sense Jaclyn right behind me. I can practically feel her hand on my shoulder blades afraid to be separated.

"I-I don't know. I've heard the men speak of it though when-" I put my hand up to stop her. Last time I ignored the little red flag, I won't be making the same mistake twice.

"Thank you" she whispers but I heard her clearly.

I turn to look at her, taking in all the bruises and scars. I saved her, even if we die before making it back to my pack, I saved her from the torment she has lived in. But how many did I leave behind?

I don't respond. Mostly because I can't think of anything to say. So I just nod my head slowly and keep moving through the tunnels.

It's like everything happened at once. The moment of overjoy I felt at sensing the approach of fresh air was overshadowed by the echoing footsteps from behind us.

"We need to run!" I grab Jaclyn's hand in my own and begin tugging her along.

I can see the light just ahead in the distance. The air so clean and pure that my lunges don't even want to breathe until we are surrounded by it.

Jaclyn can't run as fast as me. I can see the pain on her face as she struggles to keep up, but I can't slow down. How long had the men been behind us? They could be closer than we realize.

And I will not be captured by them again. My knuckles turn white as I grip the knife tightly in my hand.

I won't be captured again.

"As soon as we are out of the tunnels, we need to shift." my voice is a soft whisper hoping it won't echo to the men chasing us.

I can see the exit now, and my heart leaps in my chest. It is just a small ladder leading to a hole in the wall. But I know the smell and sounds of the nature. This will lead us to our freedom.

"I'm not sure I remember how" it was just a mumble, but I heard it.

I tried not to react impatiently. I didn't want to make her feel bad. It's not her fault that she has been used and abused. I know that once we are in a safe place, it will all come back to her. It has to.

"We'll worry about it when we're safe." I push her up the ladder first, scrambling up the few steps behind her.

The sun in low in the sky but the warmth that floods me is indescribable. It's like I had been frozen and I am finally being given the chance to thaw.

We're in the middle of the woods. I can smell a water source nearby and hear the movement of the water. What I don't smell is anything familiar.

I don't know where we are or which direction will lead us to my pack. I only know that we can't go backwards.

"There they are!" My heart sinks at the deep voice that didn't come from the tunnels, but from my left, just beyond the trees.

Well, that narrows my choices down to right or straight ahead. They have our scents, so anywhere we go, they can follow. We just need to stay ahead until we get to safety.

"Run to the right!" The water will help hide our scents.

I don't wait for confirmation, I grab her hand again and pull her along as fast as I can get her to go. She tries to hide her small cries of pain, but I can hear them.

I feel like a monster, but I have to ignore them. We have to get to safety. The shouts of the men fill the air as we brush past trees and small bushes.

It was like seeing water in the middle of the desert. I almost wanted to cry with relief when it finally came into view. I don't even hesitate on the bank, I dive run right in.

It's like ice on the skin and Jaclyn and I both begin to gasp. There is no preparing for that. The current is moving quickly. One wrong step and we will get swept away.

"Ow Fuck!" I cry as something hits my shoulder.

I don't know what it is, but I can feel my warm blood running down my back. The other side of the bank leads right into another set of trees. There is coverage but not a lot of places to hide that aren't obvious.

The pain in my shoulder is increasing and my vision beginning to blur. I don't know what they got me with, but I feel my energy draining and quickly.

"Jaclyn... Run.... Leave me." My words come out in short pants as I try to continue to fight through the pain.

A cry leaves my lips and fall. The world is spinning and I try to keep my head up. I need her to get away. Harley won't let them kill me, but he doesn't care about her.

"no no no no" she murmurs, trying to pull me along still.

Why isn't she running? Doesn't she hear the shouts of the men getting closer? Even through my haze, I can see that she is frightened and my heart aches for her.

If I could keep going I would. If I could be strong for her, I would but everything is getting dark and my blood is soaking through the back of my shirt.

"Run" I collapse onto my stomach staring straight ahead. I can see the base of the trees, the animals that scurry down here where no one looks and Jaclyn's feet still in front of me.

A cry of pain fills the air. The agony and torture of it, haunting me as the dark spots grow.

I feel something nudging me in the side. My eyes are barely slits but I can make out the skinny grey wolf.

She tempered how to shift after all.

Her eyes plead with me as she kneels in front of me. I cam tell she's trying to get as low to the ground as she can.

It's a last ditch effort and using the last of my strength I lift myself up hoping to land across her back.