Chapter 5: Dead people dont have to clean

BECK'S POV

  It had been 2 weeks since me and Spence had our little Christmas. We were finally at a airport so we could fly to California. "NOW BOARDING FIGHT 5 TO LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA" the over head speaker said.

  "Do we have to?!" I complained as we were waiting in line for our fight. Most people don't know but I'm terrified of flying.

  "Look kid," Spence started, " I know you hate flying but it's better this way so then it doesn't take as long. Your fear of planes is totally irrational too."

I just gave him a dirty look. "I'm not afraid of planes, I'm terrified of flying 100's of feet above the word in a tiny metal box!" He looked at me and shook his head.

"Well at least I got you your sleeping pills for your anxiety." He said smiling down at me. The thing about Spencer's smiles is that they are infectious so I couldn't help but smile back.

  I looked up at Spencer and he reached down and grabbed my hand. "Stay close to me Beck. Please, cause if I lose you Bobby will have my head." I simply giggled knowing it was true. I'm basically his little princess.

Once we were on the plane I had 2 sleeping pills. To help me fall asleep I pulled out a book I had been reading. The Outsiders. It was about 2 gangs from the point of view of a 14 year old boy named Ponyboy Curtis. It was really good. I was at the part when Johnny is telling Pony to stay gold. I didn't realize but I had been crying, the pills make it hard for me to control my emotions. I tired to wipe them away before Spencer noticed. "Shorty you all good?" He said concerned. Too late.

  "I'm fine. It's just a character just died and he was my favorite." I explained as I closed the book. Saving my page of course. I yawned as the sleeping pills started to work their little magic. I moved around a little bit before setting my head on Spence's shoulder and pulling up my blanket. "Night night Spency-wency." I said yawning again. I heard him laugh quietly.

   "Night night little miss Rebecca.", was the last thing I heard before falling asleep.

SPENCER'S POV

I looked down at Beck as she was sleeping. 'She looks so young.' I thought as she mumbled in her sleep. 'She is young! Too young for this life' I realized. 'She's only 17!' I reminded myself. Which is something I have had to do a lot lately. Poor kid has gone through a lot since her mom died. My thoughts instantly darkened as I remembered what Bobby said when I first met Beck.

~~~~Weird flashback music~~~~

"Hey Keem guess what?" My mother had said. Smiling down at me. I was 8 years old and my mother was 27 and my father had passed away before I was born. "What mama?" I said my voice still high pitch and full of innocence. "You and Uncle B are gonna meet a new kid! A girl to." She said her smile brightening. She was excited for me to meet another kid my age. Or around my age at least. I nodded.

Once we got to Bobby or Uncle B's house I was bouncing up and down happy to meet someone new. Mama had gotten out and knocked on Bobby's door. I got out on my own and ran up to give Uncle B a hug. "Hey Bud!" He said hugging me back. "Wow! Have you grown since I last saw you?!" I smiled up at him. It had only been about a month since I had last seen him but he is an over dramatic old man. "Where's the new person?" I asked "Mama told me there was gonna be a new person!" I tried to look around Bobby's legs. He laughed and picked me up, promising that I would see her soon. "There is just something you gotta know before ya meet her. Alright?" I nodded. I was a little afraid to know but the more curious part of me won. "Ya see Hakeem, she lost her mama and her sissy in a big fire. And she never meet her papa, so she is a little shy cause she ain't used to other kids. So you be real nice with her. Okay?" Even though I was eight at the time I still understood what it felt like to lose a parent. But to lose both and a sibling. I didn't even want to think about it. I looked up a Bobby, " I promise that I will be as nice as I possibly can, or my name isn't Hakeem Spencer Vargus!" I smiled at him and my mama. Bobby just smiled and shook his head. He then pointed to a room and winked at me.

Once I got to the room I noticed a small girl with blondeish hair. I walked up to and introduced myself. "Hi!! My names is Hakeem Spencer Vargus! What's yours?" I had a pretty loud voice and it ended up spooking her. She got up and moved to the other end of the couch. Of course it had hurt my feelings because usually adults smile and say hi back. I got up and saw she was coloring. So I sat down and stared drawing too.

  After drawing for a few minutes I heard a voice, "Whatcha drawin?" I looked up to see it was her who asked.

I smiled , "I'm drawing my mama and papa and a baby me." I looked down at the drawing. "I never got to meet my Papa." I said sadly, "But my mama says I gots his hair'n his eyes color." I said happily. I pointed to her drawing and tilted my head as if to ask.

She looked down and blushed, obviously embarrassed. "It's my fami.." she mumbled. I furrowed my eyebrows and tilted my head to the other side.

"Ya don't have to talk 'bout it. Most people don't. They all say it's to sad." I said trying to make her comfortable. She looked up at me through her eyelashes and smiled. It was that moment that I decided I would help her and look after her always.

"I drew my family." She finally said, "My Mommy, Sissy her name was Ariel. And me, Rebecca Mary Hernandez." I smiled big at her cause she answered my first question.

  "Can I call ya Spencer?" She asked randomly. Not looking up from a new drawing she was doing.

"Why? My names Hakeem. Ya can call me Keem. It's what my Mama calls me!" I said sort of upset she didn't want to call me my name.

"Cause that's a long name. Plus Keem isn't special for me cause your mama call you that." She said her voice raising to a normal level. "But nobody calls ya Spencer so that's your new name." She went back to drawing, as if she got the final word. I was surprised to say the least. No girl ever talked to me like that before.

"Only if I get to call ya Beck!" I said wanting a special name for her too. She smiled and nodded. We drew and talked for the rest of the day.

Back to normal time and Spencer's POV

I must have been in memory lane for a while because when I focused again the flight was almost done and Beck was waking up again. I looked down at her and chuckled to myself. Her hair was in tangles, making her look like a lion, and her cheeks were a rosy color from the warmth, and her right cheek has little marks from my flannel. She rubbed her eyes as the plane landed. Once we were allowed to leave, we stared to clean up the mess she made in her sleep. "I wish I was dead'n all that jazz." She said still half asleep. I looked at her in horror. Wondering why she would ever say that. She looked over to me and laughed. "I'm wishing I was dead cause dead people don't have clean!" I shook my head and smiled. This kid I thought