Part 22

I hung up, and didn't have time for any explanations before Father arrived. I chuckled at his appearance, but (Y/N) yanked my arm. Oh dear, it seemed I really should have been slightly less impulsive and clarified a few things in advance.

(Y/N) sounded furious! "Andy! You've kidnapped Jack Nicholson! What have you done!? Holy shit, I'm going to go to prison-"

"(Y/N), that's my Father-" How was I to know she was a big fan of The Witches of Eastwick? Most people have really pretty ordinary fare in terms of satanic notions. I hadn't figured on a celebrity!

"-Jack Nicholson is your father?" I shook my head but (Y/N) wasn't really looking. "Jesus!" (Y/N) pointed at my now less-pleased looking Father. I winced. She just had to bring him up? I had terrible luck! "You mean he really is the devil? Oh my God-"

I was stricken dumb with horror. The woman who I treasured above all else had not just mentioned the J-man in front of Lucifer, she mentioned the other guy. I felt dizzy, like I was going to pass out. I sat down, overwhelmed and totally nauseated. I was afraid I was going to have to fight my own creator in a pathetic attempt to defend (Y/N). We would both inevitably be slaughtered-

Father interrupted my thoughts. "-Now, now, no need to draw any attention from either of the aforementioned, young lady. Allow me to explain, if I may?"

He must have done something, as (Y/N) just nodded complacently. That immediately irritated me. (Y/N) was MINE, I didn't want ANYONE, not even Satan himself, touching her, messing with her head, having anything to do with her-

"Generally, around humans, if he or she has a preconceived concept of how I, the Devil, or what have you, should look, I will do my best to accommodate. As you can imagine, it works best in one-on-one interactions. You just happen to have retained the impression of Jack Nicholson from The Witches of Eastwick rather strongly. It was that or Tim Curry from Legend, and that was just too much razzle dazzle." He cleared his throat. "Now, if you will excuse us, miss, I need to talk to Andy for a moment." (Y/N) nodded dully and left the room.

I had to watch my temper. I didn't want to wreck (Y/N)'s apartment. Still, quick as a flash, I was up and towering above Jack Nicholson-Satan with smoke oozing from my nostrils. "Don't you dare touch her! She's MINE! What have you done to-"

The big man snorted and grew a few inches, now just looking like my Father, Chris, though I never called him that. He put a hand on my shoulder. "Easy, Andy, easy. I've just helped her stay calm and let us talk, that's all. Sit down again. Tell me what's going on."

I hesitated for one last moment. Telling the Ruler of the Underworld of my failures would be everything I had ever tried to avoid my entire life. The Dark Lord had always told me he thought of me not just as one of his many thousands of spawn, but as though I were a real son, that he held me in special favor. If I told him the many ways I had failed, and he disapproved, my life was forfeit.

For a moment, I wavered in my convictions. I enjoyed being the best at what I did. Always being the first of my kind, already an extremely elite group, getting to pick and choose the prey I chose to visit. I liked ultimate freedom over whom I added to my collection, which women I decided to make mine, to own and virtually destroy. Only the most beautiful, the most delicious, signed my contracts, because I had always been unsurpassed among a group of the already exclusive.