Part 69

My nerves were frayed beyond belief! Father had arrived at 11:50 am, and I had moved to entertain him by showing him the delight of soda pop. He was apparently already familiar, but accepted the offering with a nod, expertly popping the little tin open. It was impressive, his mastery of that small tab!

I was grateful Father had done away with his horns for the moment. I didn't want (Y/N) to be any more frightened that she already was. However, when Metatron arrived, it occurred to me that I probably should have thought to prepare her a little more. Oops.

She sat stock-still, staring at the behemoth from her seat on the divan. I could taste her fear; it was rather unpleasantly sour. Metatron folded his wings primly and looked around until he spotted Chris by the kitchen island and went to join him. "Good afternoon, brother." His voice was very low and resonant.

I took a seat next to (Y/N), taking her small, delicate hands in mine. "Do not fret, my love. That is only Metatron, see his feathered wings?"

(Y/N) looked like she had just sucked on a lemon inadvertently. "He's tall."

I smiled guiltily, "Forgive me, it slipped my mind; I should have debriefed you regarding his unusual dimensions in advance."

(Y/N) was looking at the massive angel dubiously. "Uh, it's ok. But you should probably offer him a soda too."

Ever the dutiful lover, I rose and approached Metatron and my father. They were exchanging pleasantries. I gave Father a look indicating he should introduce us.

Thankfully, he noticed. "Metatron, this is my son, Andy. The reason we are here."

Metatron turned a bit to look down at me and nodded, not responding to my extended hand. "I know. Shall we begin?"

I felt flustered and insulted, being rebuffed, "My brother, Ashley, isn't here yet. Would you like a soda pop while you wait? They are fizz-"

Metatron shook his head. "-No. Too much sugar."

Prick! I was about to offer him some water when I saw Ashley pop through dimensions over near where (Y/N) was sitting. Instantly my hackles were up and I unceremoniously abandoned my father and our ill-mannered guest to go have a few words with Ashley before things got under way.

His freakishly round-pupiled, brown eyes found me as I headed towards him, and immediately he looked ill at ease. As well he should. His tail started to wag uncertainly.

I reached him and stood a little closer than generally socially acceptable to make a point. "Ashley."

Undeterred, he stared right back at me. "Andy. Look-"

I cut him off, wanting to get my two cents in, "-(Y/N) is mine. If you so much as touch her, I will kill you."