Serendipitous

On the morning her life changed, Maine was floating alone on an empty hotel pool, gazing upwards at the sunrise peeking out from the bluish purple clouds of dawn. She languidly waved her arms in lazy circles, letting the water ripple through her skin as she dreamt of beach getaways for the nth time. Something within her constantly yearned for oceans. Or escape. Sometimes she couldn't tell the difference anymore. For now, this daily morning swim in this fifty metre-wide hotel pool was enough.

Maine closed her eyes.

What are your plans in the future, Maine? What about lovelife? Would you say you have already succeeded in your career now? What's next for you, Maine? Are you satisfied with your accomplishments? Are you happy, Maine?

The questions were practically endless, no matter how many times she's told them that she's just contented with what she have at the moment. That she'd rather enjoy and endure her life in the present than obsess over what she has to do in the coming months. Or years.

I don't worry about tomorrow. I let tomorrow worry about me, she always told people with her cryptic smile.

Suddenly, rain came crashing down on her in an unexpected outpour. Maine jerked violently to stand upright and she felt and heard the unmistakable sharp sound of torn fabric. Her bikini bra strap had snapped.

PAK. WOW, WHAT AN AMAZING WAY TO START THE DAY, GAAAAHD.

Just as she was about to swim back to the other end of the pool to fetch her yellow maxi-dress that she left lying on the deck chairs along with her towel and pouch, a guy came running towards one of the poolside umbrellas to shelter himself from the downpour of rain. On reflex, Maine covered her now exposed chest and sank herself in the water, keeping only her head above the surface.

The guy finally saw her and they locked eyes for a few seconds before he looked down on his wristwatch to probably check the time.

It's probably quarter to six am now, Maine thought, suddenly terrified that she will be trapped in the pool naked. People usually start trickling in by seven am. She has at least an hour to figure out how she could go back to her hotel room in this state.

But minutes passed and the rain wouldn't stop and the guy under the poolside umbrella was likewise stuck where he was standing. Maine's eyes drifted towards her yellow dress and towel, tears threatening to fall any moment now as she realized that it was now too late to retrieve it: rain has soaked both beyond salvation. Now she couldn't wear those too.

SERIOUSLY, WHAT KIND OF MISFORTUNE IS THIS? She panicked.

Maine and the stranger locked gazes again and this time, their eyes lingered longer. In that moment, she made a decision. She walked towards the edge of the pool where the guy was standing.

"Kuya, I'm so sorry, but can you please close your eyes for a few seconds?" she told him.

Now that he had come nearer into view, Maine saw how handsome the stranger was, making her even more conscious and agitated about her predicament. A look of confusion darkened his pale, beautiful face.

"Teka lang, you are...." he asked, upon recognizing her.

"Uh yeah I'm Maine Mendoza... I need to get out of this pool."

"I won't look, if you're shy. Don't worry, Miss." He replied.

"Just, can you please close your eyes? Sige na po please," She pleaded.

The guy smiled but didn't ask any further questions. He closed his eyes.

Maine waited a few seconds to see if the stranger will steal a peek until she finally convinced herself it was safe to go up. Just as Maine was already gripping the rail and already halfway back to the ground, the guy opened his eyes, assuming she has already climbed out of the pool.