Solitary

I just need to understand, Alden. I just need  to understand why it can never be me.

Gusto ko lang makita yung dahilan kung bakit siya. Kung anong meron siya na wala ako.

I've been watching her for several minutes now, and fine, she's pretty, she's sexy and all. 

With every stare and every stance, I could understand a little bit why you fell for her, Alden. She's Miss Universe, for crying out loud. Ano ba naman ang laban ko di ba?

Pero ginusto ko 'to. Ginusto ko 'tong makita ng personal. So I'm going to confront this, confront her face to face before I go crazy from asking and wondering why.

I tried to put a smile on my face and even then, I can feel how fake it must have looked like judging from the way Maine flinched noticeably when I approached her.

Good. I'm not here to make friends with her and she should know that upfront.

"Can we talk?" I asked her.

"About what?"

"You know what it's about, Maine. You know who it's about."

"You can say what you want to say now, Lianne."

Oh, this is getting better. She's making it obvious that she's not intending to be friends with me too.

"Too busy to speak with mere mortals, aren't we, goddess?" I scoffed.

"More like too tired, actually. I've been doing this shoot for four hours and I'm running on barely three hours worth of sleep. Tapos I have to fly to Cebu tomorrow morning,"

"How will you take care of Alden if you barely have any time for him?"

"Fiancee ako hindi all-around alalay. Last time I checked, he's not a baby anymore. Although yeah, if we come to think of it, you're actually right, Lianne. Alden is MY BABY."

So she's smart and she's got a sassy tongue, okay, I'll give her that.

"Fiancee ka PA LANG, Maine. You're not yet his wife."

"Naiinip ka na ba? Gusto mo ba magpakasal na kami bukas?"

"Eh di ba nasa Cebu ka bukas?"

"Kaya nga dapat matulog na ako. We're too smart for a catfight, Lianne. Sayang sa energy, I just had my nails done yesterday. Tingnan mo oh, ang ganda ng color!"

"So you know,"

"I know what?"

"That I like Alden,"

"Bakit mali ba ako?"

"I'm here because I just want to understand Maine. Why he picked you."

For a few seconds, we just remained silent as she stood there, scrutinizing my eyes.

Is she always like this, Alden? Does her eyes always feel like she's looking straight into your soul?

"Give me five minutes," she finally uttered as she searched the studio for her handler.

Later, after asking for permission, she came out wearing a baseball cap and a pair of sunglasses.

"Let's go for a coffee shop—"

"I know of a good place—"

We both said at the same time.

"Bato batompik, 1...2...3...!" She randomly blurted out and out of reflex, I gave scissors.