Sincere

Despite feeling dizzy and suckerpunched by Alden's sudden announcement, Maine managed to finish the second half of the magazine pictorial. At quarter to five pm, after the shoot successfully wrapped up, Maine anxiously searched for Jerald and asked for her phone. Her hands trembled as she dialled Alden's number, but someone else picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?" a woman's voice answered on the line.

"Hi, may I speak with Governor Faulkerson?"

"Miss Maine?"

"Yes. Andyan ba siya?"

"This is his secretary Valeen. He's in a meeting right now and asked me to tell you that he'll call you back right away when he's done,"

"A meeting? He was just at a presscon a few hours ago right?"

"Yes. We're currently in Bulacan. He's in a meeting. With your parents."

***

Even though Maine reached their house in Bulacan in record time, thanks to Jerald driving like his life depended on it, she was still too late to undo what has already been done.

As they left her car harphazardly parked on the driveway, they saw a woman dressed in a crisp, elegant corporate suit standing alongside a uniformed security personnel in front of a black car.

"Miss Maine?" The woman called out to her in greeting.

"Yes?"

"I'm Valeen, Governor Faulkerson's secretary. He's inside—"

Maine didn't let Valeen finish and sprinted towards their house in panic.

"I'm Jerald, Maine's handler," Jerald introduced himself to Alden's secretary. But instead of offering a handshake, he handed Valeen his mobile phone.

"I'm sorry?"

"Your number. I need it."

"I don't think—"

"Kailangan nating pag-usapan ang future nating dalawa,"

"Ano po???"

"FUTURE NILANG DALAWA. Ni Alden at Maine. We are both in charge of them, right? So we must have a way to communicate."

"Ah...okay po."

"Pero minsan pwede rin natin pag-usapan yung future natin pag may time," he winked.

***

The echo of his father's and Alden's laughter were the first sounds that greeted Maine when she finally reached their living room. She looked at her wristwatch and saw it was already past seven pm.

Buhay pa siya oh my god, she sighed in relief.

She tiptoed towards the dining room where they overheard them having after-dinner conversation.

"Sigurado ka bang pakakasalan mo si Menggay kahit di siya marunong magluto?"

"Oo naman po. Kahit ako na lang po magluluto para sa kanya, Tito."

Another round of laughter. Maine couldn't help it anymore and finally revealed herself.

"Tatay, marunong po ako magluto!" she protested.

"Oh, dumating ka na pala, 'nak." Her mother exclaimed.

"Oo nga, marunong ka nga pala magluto. Ng itlog, anak." Her father laughed again.