Sober

"Gov?"

Alden looked up to see a tall, brusque man standing directly in front of him.

"Jerald Napoles, handler ni Maine Mendoza."

Alden finally stood to attention and shook Jerald's hands.

"Richard Alden Faulkerson Jr . po. You can call me Alden. Are you here to pick Maine up?"

"Yes. 6am ang call time niya for a photoshoot today and may taping pa siya for a lifestyle talkshow guest appearance at 11am. She's very busy,"

"I see. When is she going to be free again? Gusto ko lang kasi sana siya makausap,"

"Gov...mawalang-galang na po ha? Pare, I'll go straight to the point kasi nagmamadali talaga kami eh. Maine cannot entertain a guy right now. It's just impossible with her schedule. Hindi ko alam kung anong nangyari sa inyong dalawa or what exactly is going on, pero wag sana ganito, kung pwede lang. Sabi niya mag-aapat na oras ka na daw nakatayo dito sa labas ng kwarto niya,"

"I've tried calling her cell but she really won't pick up. I just want to see her so bad. Is she okay?"

"She's fine, pero hindi rin siya makatulog because she's worrying about you. GOV UTANG NA LOOB WAG MO SABIHIN SA KANYA NA SINABI KO SA'YO, OKAY? May ano...forum ba yun? May forum ka pa daw ngayong umaga eh buong magdamag ka daw naghihintay dito para sa kanya. Napuyat din yun kaka-alala sa'yo. Pag talaga may eyebags yung alaga ko, ikaw ang may kasalanan. "

Alden couldn't think of any further reply, his heart still aching from Maine's rejection and his head hurting from lack of sleep.

"Can you please give her this?" he asked Jerald before ending his vigil and retreating back to his hotel room.

When Alden was finally gone, Jerald finally dialled Maine's number so she can let him in.

True enough, when Maine opened the door, her eyes had dark circles underneath tear-stricken rims, but she looked even more crestfallen when Jerald handed her what Alden left.

Her Daisy Duck toothbrush.

***

The scandal broke on Monday morning, while Alden was having a meeting with the district councilors of Laguna at the town city hall. In two hours and a half, the two photos posted and leaked by an entertainment website became viral on all social media platforms, sending a barrage of phone calls and inquiries from the media directed towards Alden's office.

When Alden adjourned the meeting and stepped out of his conference room, he was immediately greeted by his frantic, pale-faced secretary.

"We have an emergency, Gov," Valeen whispered.

Sensing the urgency in her voice, Alden quickly followed her to his office. Valeen locked the door shut, making Alden feel more uneasy.

"Are you dating Maine Mendoza?"

His stomach lurched into a free-fall upon hearing her name. How did Valeen find out?

"Ano bang nangyayari, Val?"

She handed him her own phone, showing him the photos currently circulating on the web. Alden nearly dropped the phone in shock.

"PUTANGINA WHO DID THIS? WHO TOOK THESE PHOTOS?!"

"It was leaked by an entertainment website, Gov. Sent by an unknown source daw. They were claiming may mga 'insiders' daw na nagconfirm you two were staying at the same hotel last week,"