Stronger

"You're the whole package, aren't you?" You laughed when we finally set foot inside the mall, panting as we tried to catch our breaths. I guess neither of us expected the intensity of crowds and how it will bring us closer together.

I've only held you for a few seconds but I didn't quite know how to let go of you yet, Maine.

So I tucked the stray hairstrands that covered the side of your face and touched your shoulders, asking you if you were okay.

"You can be a date-chaperone-bodyguard all in one," you told me, grinning.

You probably thought the story I've just told you was made up or that I was just kidding, but I'm serious: Growing up, I have always been the one that's protected. I've always been in the presence of people whose job is to keep me away from any kind of harm.

I've always wondered what it feels like to protect someone like this.

To have the safety of someone become your topmost priority.

My work is to ensure the security of my jurisdiction, sure. But working from a desk inside an office, or even from the occasional field visits to barangays and towns within Laguna is still vastly different in comparison to something as 'normal' as this responsibility-to make sure that you are okay, even if I have to physically be your shield.

See, I've always hated seeing people being unjustly or cruelly treated. But when I saw how someone accidentally elbowed you during the commotion earlier, and when I saw another man intentionally stealing a touch on your hips, something deep and primal just blazed from within me. A different kind of rage that honestly scared me a little too.

Putangina pag nakita ko pa ulit yung gagong yun baka ipatumba ko siya.

Before I knew it, I was caging you inside my arms, making sure you're no longer within anyone's reach.

I will do whatever it takes to make sure no one can hurt you, Maine.

"Okay lang ako, Alden. Thank you," you finally assured me when you probably noticed how the worry wouldn't disappear from my face.

I finally relaxed and exhaled a sigh of relief.

"Saan na po tayo, Madam?" I asked you, my heart beating just a little too quicker than usual at the thought of what you have in store for us in the next few hours.

There were countless designer boutiques and popular clothing line stores but our first stop was the department store.

After asking a sales lady for directions, you took my hand and led me to the T-shirt Apparel section, where you beelined towards the Marvel /
D.C. designs.

"If I were a superhero, who would you think I'd be?" you asked me with a straight, serious face. And I swear, in this moment, I knew: I've got such a huge crush on you, Maine. Damn.

"Akala ko ba wala tayong question and answer portion?" I joked.

"Hindi ito Q&A gov, Casual Wear competition. T-shirt edition," you retorted.

"Ayaw mo ba ng T-shirt with prints?"

"Oh god, no. At least not for now. Find me a superhero, Gov."

In about two minutes, I've found the Tshirt that I thought would look best on you.

"Iron Man," I finally answered as I gave it to you.