Safe

Maine's brain kept on telling her that she should've said no to Alden's invitation, but something about the way his eyes lit up like stars when she said yes assured her heart that everything's going to be alright.

She can think of so many reasons why she should've refused him-they barely knew each other; she wasn't really allowed to be in public places without any of her staff; she should be indoors and studying the script outline for the interview she will have tomorrow; she wasn't quite sure yet where all this flirting would lead to and if she is ever going to be ready for it.

But somehow, when Alden offered her the promise of a one-day rebellion, her heart has decided that only one thing mattered: she wanted to be with him. And that reason was enough.

When they stepped out of the Italian Deli and into the bustling streets of Makati on morning rush, they were greeted by the harsh glare of sunlight and the sound of heavy traffic. They walked back to Alden's car, taking refuge in the instant relief of the cool AC.

"So what's the battle plan, governor?" she asked him, trying not to sound too excited.

An entire day with a stranger. A handsome stranger. With dimples. I am completely out of my mind.

"Sixteen hours. We've got sixteen hours to midnight," He smiled at her, while studying his wristwatch.

"And?"

"We split it. You'd be the captain of the first eight hours. I'll be in command on the second half."

"Eh anong gagawin natin?"

"Kahit anong gusto mo,"

"Anything?"

"Anything. We will set our wishlists on fire, Maine."

The warmth on Alden's face was so scorching that Maine had to look away. She briefly closed her eyes, knowing so well that her mind would drift back to beaches and oceans.

But not today.Today is not for running away, she decided.

"Okay. I know where I want to go," she beamed at him.

"But before anything else," Alden replied, while pulling off the latch of his dashboard open. "We need our ammo."

He retrieved a small leather satchel and bared its contents: a metal case inside which were five assorted pairs of ray-bans. He selected one and then asked Maine to pick one for herself.

"Okay. Step two. We abandon our comfort zones." Maine declared.

"Huh? Anong-"

Before Alden could even finish his sentence, Maine was already halfway out of his car then stood outside the pavement as she fiddled with her phone. Alden turned off the car ignition, stepped out and followed suit.

"What do you mean abandon our comfort zones?" he asked her.

"It wouldn't be much of an adventure if we take your car, but we really can't risk it too much, right? So this is how we'll go," she mysteriously replied.

In a few minutes, a black sedan grab car parked in front of them. Alden finally smiled in understanding of what Maine meant.

They sat next to each other in the backseat and even though Alden's curiosity on where Maine would take him kept nagging at the back of his mind, he kept his silence for most of the ride, waiting to be surprised.

They sat in silence as the only sound that emanated within the car was the cheesy love advice segment of an FM radio.

DJ: Eh gwapo naman pala at mukhang mabait ate, bakit ayaw mong bigyan ng chance si kuya?
Caller: Kasi nga DJ bae...lately lang kami nagkakilala...parang masyado naman pong mabilis.
DJ: Ano bang naramdaman mo nung una mo siyang nakita??
Caller: Uh...parang love at first sight po eh.
DJ: NAKOOOOO. AYAN TAYO SA MGA LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT NA YAN. DELIKADO YAN!