Chapter 7 - Afterwards

"Lucy, you need to calm down," Lisanna said. She was sitting on a chair, watching Lucy lay face down on her bed.

"I can't calm down."

"Yes you can, just relax."

"Not now, Lisanna."

"Lucy, what exactly happened?"

"He kissed me!"

"Oh," Lisanna said. Women usually weren't kissed by a man unless they were at least engaged. It was just the way it was. 

"How am I supposed to react?"

"I don't know, I've never been kissed by anyone."

"And you never will be dressed like that." Lucy sat up and gestured to Lisanna's uniform; a long, black dress with a white apron and small white ribbons that tied her hair into pig tails.

"Lucy, I don't dress like this outside of the estate."

"I sure hope so." Lisanna sighed and stood from her spot.

"I should head home, it's late and my brother's probably worried."

"If you say so. Be safe."

"Thank you, good night."

"Good night," Lucy said as Lisanna opened the door and left the room. Lucy looked down at the bed, on top of her quilt was the pearl necklace. She rolled one of the pearls between her thumb and index finger. As she remembered the kiss she felt the blood rush up to her cheeks. She smiled and looked out the window. The sky was clear and she see the moon and stars shining.

A little under an hour ago she was kissing him. She felt safe during that moment. His arms were around her waist and he held her close, like he was afraid of letting her go. She had her palm rest on his chest, she was able to feel his heart beat. It was fast and rough, he was nervous. Which was okay, because it forced her not to be.

He broke the kiss. His face was just as pink as his hair and his eyes looked tired. Not tired, necessarily, but different. They seemed clouded over. He stared at her for minute before blinking and shaking his head. He pushed her away and stared down at the snow.

"What's wrong?" Lucy asked.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. Everything seems right," Natsu stated. Lucy blushed madly and smiled and rested her hand on his chin, gesturing him to look at her.

"What's the problem?"

"I shouldn't be kissing you. . ."

"Why?"

"It may kill your father. He'll get mad and have a heart attack." Natsu explained, avoiding eye contact.

"Who said he has to know?"

"No one, but he'd find out eventually."

"Natsu,"

"I don't want to mess anything up."

"You won't."

"I probably will." Natsu was leaning against the railing, staring out at the town. Lucy watched him for a moment. She then looked down at her arms, she was wearing white, elbow length gloves. She pulled one off of her arm and folded it into a square. She wrapped her arm around Natsu's shoulders and handed him the glove.

"You won't mess anything up," she said. "You're the reason everything seems right." She kissed his cheek and could feel him smile as she did so. "I should go, my father is probably looking for me." Lucy remembered the balls in recent years and how her father was always introducing her to wealthy or good looking men. She was never really interested in them, especially now.

Natsu nodded and kissed the back of her hand. "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course, good night."

"Good night." Natsu watched her leave the balcony, her dress getting caught in lumps of snow occasionally. She looked back at him before smiling and closing the door.

• • •

Natsu, who was in a daze,  walked behind Gajeel, who was carrying Makarov over his shoulder. Gray was next to him. He was holding a half empty bottle of Champagne the Jude had given to Makarov. But Gray decided that the old man shouldn't drink anymore so he took the bottle. It was full at the time. Gray smirked and  turned to Natsu.

"I need to tell you something," Natsu perked from his daze as Gray cupped his hand around his ear. Gray burped loudly in his ear and laughed as Natsu moved away and punched his arm.

"Idiot," Natsu mumbled as he took the green bottle out of his hand.

"Will you two try not to be so loud?" Makarov asked, shouting in Gajeel's ear.

"Oi, gramps don't shout in my ear!"

"Shut up, princess," Makarov grumbled. Gray chuckled and looked at Natsu through the corner of his eye. He was back in his daze, his hands stuffed in his coat pockets and eyes locked on his feet.

"Are you okay?" Gray asked. Natsu nodded.

"I'm fine, really." Natsu insisted. Gray shrugged and began talking to Gajeel about a petite blue haired girl he was dancing with. Natsu looked up at the moon and smiled as he thought, maybe, Lucy was looking up at it, too.

He remembered when he kissed her. How she held onto him as if he disappear as soon as she opened her eyes. He remembered how unbelievably warm she was, even with the little amount of fabric that covered her. He remembered how wonderfully soft she was. He had wanted to stay that way forever, but he couldn't. She couldn't. He shouldn't have done it. But when he did, it felt so right.

He had kissed girls before. Especially as a young teenager. Hiding from parents and kissing in old barn sheds. It was the excitement that made it worth it. And going further made it thrilling. But kissing Lucy was different. He was afraid of kissing her, and the nerves wanted to pull him back.

But the curiosity pushed him forward. When she kissed him, the nerves started to disappear. They returned after he noticed where his thoughts were taking him. He couldn't go there just yet. He knew he would at least once before he left for Russia. He blushed as the thoughts came back and buried his nose into the collar of his coat.

"What are thinking about?" Gray asked as they reached the camp.

"None of your-," Before he could finish, he coughed. He pulled his arm out of his pocket, accidentally pulled out one of Lucy's gloves. As he coughed into his elbow, it got worse. He couldn't breathe properly and he was leaning against a tree.

"Are you okay?" Gray asked. Natsu shook his head, his face was turning red.

"Shit," Gray mumbled. He took Natsu's other arm and helped him to the camp. "Ezra! Ezra, where are you?!"

"What is it?" A red headed soldier crawled out his tent, wrapped in a coat and a blanket.

"It's Natsu, he's sick."

"What? Natsu," Ezra quickly walked to Natsu and held his face so he could see him properly. He was trying to focus on Ezra but only saw stars in his vision. "Natsu, can you look at me?" Ezra asked as he became limp, loosing consciousness.

• • •

Author's Note;

Finally a chapter that isn't a week late!!! There was a lot of speaking and paragraphs about kissing but I hope you are okay with that.

So there's a new character. Who could he be??? I think you'll figure it out because I needed to get this character in here somehow because this character needs to be in here.

Until I write again,

~Lucy