Chapter 18 - Makarov's Orders

Lucy woke up surrounded by warmth. Even though she was only covered with a sheet, Natsu was providing all the heat she needed. He was hotter that she expected him to be, literally. Not metaphorically. Well, both. She pulled the covers over herself and snuggled closer to the man next to her. She realized he was awake when his arm wrapped around her waist and kissed the top of her head. "Morning," he mumbled. Lucy smiled.

"Morning," she replied. She stared at the wall in front of her and thought of something. "Natsu?"

"Hmm?" He hummed, still partially asleep.

"Where's Wendy's room?"

"Next to mine, why?" Lucy felt her face heat up.

"Do you think we might've been too loud?"

"Well, you were louder than the other girls he's brought home in the past," a muffled female voice said. "I'm sorry that walls here are very thin." Lucy dove completely under the covers and hid in embarrassment. Natsu was laughing next to her.

"Let's go, I'm hungry." Natsu crawled out of bed and grabbed his clothes from the floor. Lucy stayed where she was and watched him. Eyeing his body as he walked. She could see his muscles move smoothly under his skin. As well as the scratch marks on his back. For the millionth time during the past 24 hours, she was blushing. Natsu knew about the marks on his back; he could feel them. He also knew about all the bite marks on Lucy. He dressed himself and left Lucy alone for a minute. Bursting out laughing when she gasped at the sight of the marks all over her.

• • •

The afternoon was spent at the hotel where Erza had been staying. Everyone was seated around a coffee table, that was covered with cups of coffee and and plates with pastries and silverware on top. Lucy was leaning against Natsu's shoulder, half asleep. Gray was telling a story about how Loke once hung off a bridge for an hour because a girl pushed him over the side.

"Are you okay, Lucy?" Erza asked. "You look like you haven't slept." Natsu chuckled as he brought his cup of coffee to his mouth.

"No, I didn't. Something kept me up last night," Lucy told her. It took a moment for Erza to realize exactly what she meant. Her face turned as red as her hair as she took a bite out of a piece of strawberry cake. Gray was laughing  on the other side as he took the scene in, Gajeel was chuckling by his side. Loke was standing by a bar, cheering for Natsu. Lucy rolled her eyes and took a sip of her coffee. As Gray began speaking, Makarov stepped into the hotel. He was clearly in distress. What little hair he had was sticking out in various directions and his uniform was covered wrinkles; he must've put it on in a rush. Everyone went silent when he reached the table and attempted to catch his breath.

"The French," he said, "They're coming. The French are going to attack Moscow." Loke groaned.

"Damn it! Can't they be quiet for a few weeks?!" He asked. Gajeel punched him, sending him to the ground.

"What about -," Erza started.

"I don't want to hear anymore complaints or questions. Numerous troops have already been killed during the French's journey east. The Tzar needs everyone he can get. I want you all hear for dinner tonight then we will start heading to Moscow." He turned on his foot and headed out of the hotel.

"Sir, wait!" Erza said as he stepped out of the building. She sighed and picked up her cup of coffee.

"Is something wrong, Erza?"

"No, I was just curious as to how he found us," she said as she finished her cup.

• • •

"You're really leaving already?" Wendy asked. She was sitting at the dining room table, petting Happy. He had stayed with Erza, only because he fell asleep in her bag. Erza was with her. She nodded and stared at the mantle. It was wooden with intricate carvings around it. On top of it were framed pictures of members of The Dragneel family. Either drawings or sketches. In the middle was a large painting of the family together. Wendy was in her mother's arms and Natsu in his father's. Zeref stood in the center, a bored expression on his face.

"But you just got here!"

"We know and we wish it didn't have to be this way." Erza rested her hand on top of Wendy's. She wouldn't directly at her. Wendy kept her eyes directed towards her lap. Erza wrapped an arm around her shoulder and hugged her. "We won't be gone as long this time, I promise."

• • •

It was oddly warm when they met back at the hotel that night. Lucy had her green coat resting on her shoulders as she argued with Gray about the heat. "It's March! It won't last long!" He was saying.

"But it's warm now!" She argued. Even though she was dressed as a soldier, she didn't attempt to hide the fact she was a woman. Her blonde hair laid out nicely down her back and her loose, white blouse didn't do a good job at hiding her breasts. Juvia sat up on a hoarse behind her, dressed similarly except her blue hair cascaded down her shoulder in messy waves. Erza, who was cold, wrapped herself up in a blanket and was so used to hiding her gender she never gave anyone a second guess about her being a strong, male soldier.

Gray and Lucy continued arguing until Makarov arrived a few minutes late. Lucy would always think this was because he wanted to be dramatic but never really asked if it was true. He said they would rest once they arrived in Moscow and that if he heard any complaints they would be punished there as well. Natsu walked beside Lucy's hoarse as they headed to Moscow. He didn't say much. He held the hem of her blouse with one hand and rubbed his thumb against the gloves she had given him what seemed like an eternity ago. Lucy told him stories when she thought of one, but preferred watching him and listening to him hum a song.

• • •

Author's Note;

I know this is late and I'm sorry again about that! This was going to be up on time but on Tuesday the wifi modem in my home broke so I didn't have internet access. Spring break is over so I might get chapters up sooner because. . .

There are (at most) five chapters left.

And I might get really excited while writing them so they might all be posted during the same week.

Until I write again,

~ Lucy