Epilogue - Where Have You Been

United States of America •
New York, New York
May, 1922

* TRIGGER WARNING: There is a mention of suicide and death.*

The phonograph was booming through the apartment as the girls were getting ready. It was Gray Fullbuster's 21st birthday and is anyone who knew who he was was celebrating. He was always known for throwing parties and ever since he fell head over heels for Juvia, the girls had always been invited as guests of honor.

Tonight was different. Gray had decided to celebrate his birthday at his friend's estate. "You shouldn't worry. It'll be better than if it were at my home. Besides, he's richer than I am," he told the girls a week earlier. They were sitting on his patio, drinking iced tea.

"We'll enjoy it either way," Erza Scarlet told him. She was the oldest of the four girls and most mature. She was seated next to Levy McGarden on a wicker bench. Levy was more focused on her closest friend, Lucy Heartfilia.

Lucy was walking through the gardens following Gray's dog, Silver. Lucy was your typical flapper girl, expect for one thing. She didn't have the body everyone wanted. Her chest was too large and her hips were too wide. It was hard to find a dress that looked good on her. Today she was dressed in a pale pink, lace dress and white flats. Her blonde hair had recently been cut shot and shined brightly underneath the sun.

"Lucy, are you all right?" Levy asked. Lucy heard her, but chose to ignore her instead. Silver was running towards New York bay. He was barking at a group of seagulls as they flew off.

"Lucy!"

"Yes!"

"Are you okay?!" Levy asked again.

"Yes! Jeez, calm down, Levy!" Lucy told her. Lucy turned and headed back to the machine, silver following close behind. She stepped onto the patio and walked past the group and inside the home.

"You need something, Lucy?" Gray asked.

"A drink." Lucy closed the patio door as she stepped inside, ignoring the pitcher of lemonade outside.

Now she was sitting at her vanity, looking out into the city. People were walking down the street wrapped up in fur coats and talking about their Friday night plans. Before Lucy fully take in the scene, Juvia had thrown her dress at her.

"Get dressed, Lucy. We're leaving once you're ready."

• • •

The party looked like something out of a magazine or a movie. There were so many cars ahead of them that it took at least ten minutes to get through the gates and onto the property. The estate larger than any of the girls had expected. The tiles across the ground were marble and it seemed as if confetti had already fallen because pieces of shiny, blue paper had already began covering the ground. The ceilings were high and large chandeliers hung down, showing off their bright lights and crystals. It seemed hundreds of people were already there. It they all seemed to enjoy being near the indoor pool (Juvia had a bit of a freak out about the pool).

No one talked to them until Gray showed up and kissed Juvia's cheek. Then people knew they were important and began talking to them. Erza got caught up by the buffet and Levy met the CEO of an automobile company and was enjoying talking to him. Men would look Lucy up and down and try to flirt with her, but they either didn't attempt to talk to her or she shut them down when they tried to.