Chapter 14- The Genius Old Fool

V felt as though her whole body had been shattered when she woke up, right from the pangs in her heart to the throbbing in her knee. Her eyes slowly opened to a painted white ceiling and a couple people leaning over her including a very grim Dumbledore and a very concerned Madam Pomfrey.

"Good evening, Miss Black." Dumbledore said but his voice sounded very distant.

She sat up feeling very sore as she did so and looked around. She then saw Harry in another bed with Hermione leaning over him and Ron who was awake next to Harry, muttering to Hermione indistinctly. V let out a groan as her knee which had felt a tad bit better, let out another seer of pain.

"Evening." She said in an uptight sort of way.

"Lie back down dearie, you've gotten yourself a few serious injuries." Madam Pomfrey said, helping V back down. V's eyes were red and alert know, with her hair in a mangle, still some twigs in it from her horrific fall. "Your knee, especially but nothing we can't fix."

V suddenly started to recollect what had previously happened that night.

"My father!" She suddenly blurted out. Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore then looked down at her sympathetically.

"He's in the Professor Flitwick's office, awaiting the Dementor's." Dumbledore said gravely causing V's eyes to widen even more and to sit upright again, ignoring the pang of pain.

"BUT HE"S INNOCENT!" She bellowed at him, causing Harry's friends to look over and Madam Pomfrey to take a step back in shock. But Dumbledore looked down at her with nothing but utmost patience in his eyes.

"I know-" Dumbledore began but stopped abruptly.

V had rolled out of bed and began limping towards the door. V was determined to get to her father and save him from the worst kind of doom or at least have a last word with him. This seemed so unfair to her, to be orphaned her whole life then and when her father finally comes only, she barely gets to know him before he is ripped away from her.

"Miss Black!" Madam Pomfrey yelled, immediately rushing towards her, which wasn't too hard with the state that V's knee was already in. "You need to heal!" She yelled again, stepping in front of V.

"Please, Miss!" V began to beg, "This may be the last time I see my own father." She said with a hollow emptiness to her voice.

V wasn't crying but there was a dreadful sadness in her grey eyes which madam Pomfrey seemed to sympathize with as her eyes softened. V's heart felt heavy, as if someone had placed a dozen dead weights on it and the blood seemed to flow more rigidly in her veins as if there was someone blocking them up however this didn't redden her. She just looked pale, a grayish pale.

"At least take some crutches then." Madam Pomfrey said, while V gave her a gracious nod.

V began her journey up to the north tower but was stopped by Dumbledore when she had just stepped out into the hallway.

"Miss Black, Harry is about to awake and it seems that I have an idea to help save your father." Dumbledore said.

V's eyes widened, a small spring of hope blossomed in her now worn out heart. "Really?" She asked incredulously. She was surprised by the fact that Professor Dumbledore believed that her father was truly innocent, he truly was a great man.

"Of course, and all you need to do is to buy us a little time, hold the dementor off for as long as possible." Professor Dumbledore said with a twinkle flashing in his eye.

"I'll do so to the best of my ability." V said looking very serious about the matter. She then stumbled off down the hall towards Professor Flitwick's office.