Chapter 6

After finishing our meals, we went anywhere and everywhere. We drove around the whole entire city probably three times. Though it was very fun jamming out to good music with my friends, I caught myself reflecting back on my conversation with Harry earlier. It's kept an uneasy feeling in my stomach knowing we've left off in bad terms. But I don't know what to do about it though. Like I wanna call him back and fix everything but another part of me wants him to do that task because he is the one who got jealous of one of my new friends complimenting me when I'm not even dating either of them.

I snap back into reality when Liam waves his hand in my face for probably 20 solid seconds of trying to get my attention. We've been at this ice cream parlor for probably half an hour because the girls wanted to show the boys how good this place is, but really I just want to go home. I look across the booth at Liam and make up something off the top of my brain.

"Hey, sorry. Just in a daze, I guess," I shrug.

He chuckles and asks, "What's got you in a funk, hun? Seems like you've been kinda out of it since eating earlier."

I shake my head, "No, nothing's wrong. Just tired."

I can tell he doesn't believe by the way his eyes squint at me as if I'm the worst liar ever. I'm really not that bad at it, but mom likes to point out that I can't keep very good eye contact when I lie.

Oh shit. I haven't told my mom where I was all day. Fuck. I turned off my phone earlier after Harry and I's conversation and didn't even think about my parents wondering where I am. I'm fucked.

Liam must have noticed my panicking reaction because he looks at me curiously.

"What is it?" He asks quickly.

   I hesitate but decide to tell him anyways. "My parents. They work for the sheriffs department and I haven't told them where I've been all day. I'm surprised they haven't tracked me here yet," I say while fishing my phone out of my pocket.

I clumsily turn it on to find 22 missed calls from my mom, and 10 from my dad. Holy fuck. I look up at Liam to see his eyes wide and looking anywhere but me. I hurry up and dial my moms number knowing that I'm in such deep shit.

She answers on the first ring, "Jessie!? Where the hell are you?" She angrily asks.

   "I'm so sorry, mom. I'm okay, I'm with Kassia and Ryley. My phone died after school and they asked me to go eat with them and shop. I'm so sorry, it's not a good excuse but please forgive me," I plead.

"Jesus, Jess. We've been worried sick. You're lucky you called at the right time. Your dad was about to send a search crew out for you." And my eyes widen.

I think of my dads reaction if he found out I was with a bunch of tattooed guys and not just Ryley and Kassia. Gosh, I don't even wanna know how much trouble I'd be in.

"I'm grateful that he cares that much but you guys can go ahead and put a halt to that crew. We're at Dave's parlor, but we're almost finished eating," I manage to say without my voice betraying me of the lie I've told.

Liam looks at me for the first time since I've spoken about my parents and seems to get the memo that we're about to leave. He starts to get up and put his leather jacket on while I continue talking (lying) to my mother.

"Okay, hunny. I'm just thankful that you're okay. Could you do me a favor though? Would you mind grabbing some milk at the store? Your dad forgot to get some Sunday and I'm making cookies," she says excitedly. That woman loves baking almost as much as she loves dad and I.