Chapter 7

GIVEAWAY TIME!!!

Remember when I told you that I'm having a giveaway as part of the Wattpad Block Party?

Well, my post (yes, the one with Kennedy) won't be featured until February 16th, but I wanted to give you a head start so I'm sharing the giveaway link in the first comment and also as an External Link so you can enter right now!

Check out the prizes at the bottom of this chapter.

I exhaled slowly.

The figures before me swirled and shifted over the white page like an army of angry ants who wanted to attack, but were unsure where their enemy hid. I closed the folder and slid it away before placing my elbows on my desk, closing my eyes and rubbing my temples.

"You need a distraction," Aunt Olivia said from the other side of the desk.

My work is my distraction, I wanted to retort, but I couldn't explain what it was supposed to be distracting me from.

I couldn't tell her I was in love with Callum, I couldn't tell her he was my mate, I couldn't tell her that the more time I spent with him, the harder it got to keep away from him and that, indeed, I needed to keep away from him.

He could never return my feelings and even if he could, he would never be able to become one of us.

I had to keep him away and I had to somehow stop tormenting myself with thoughts of him.

And thus, work.

"Come on," her voice beckoned.

"I need to go over the yearly tax and see if the raise would cover the new gym equipment without major inconveniencies for the pack."

Our Treasurer sighed.

"We already went over that, approved it, paid for the equipment and the boys are installing it. Looking at the numbers now won't change anything. I really don't understand why you even wanted to see this file today."

Because I'm done with pretty much everything on my To Do list and I needed something work-related to concentrate on, Aunt Olivia.

I opened my eyes, my fingers motionless, but still on my temples, and looked at my Aunt with her white-streaked brown hair and smiling, albeit a little worried fine-wrinkled face.

Perhaps, she would somewhat understand.

After Uncle Jackson had died, she'd kept working. Hard, focused work. It wasn't until we also lost her twin brother - Zachary, that she'd stepped down and opened her position as the Beta for someone else. Sure, with Uncle Zach gone and a new Alpha rising, it wasn't unusual to get a new Beta as well, but we aim for the people taking on those positions to work well together and I could've worked with my Aunt as my second in command.