Chapter 26

I realized I haven't given you a date for The Casting Game, so... If you want to win a chapter dedication and a Wattpad shout-out, think of a cast for any character from the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys series before August 27 (Sunday).

To help you find the perfect celebrity or an animated/comic book/manga character to match the characters from my series, I'm going to write a basic description for the most popular/liked ones in the A/N at the bottom.

And now, enjoy the new chapter!

I turned off the shower and reached for my towel

I turned off the shower and reached for my towel. Patting myself dry, I went over my schedule for the day, which consisted of pretty mundane things: call dad to check on mom, check in with my sisters, cook, eat, wash the dishes, clean up the bedsit, work out... That was it.

Wrapping the towel around my waist, I exited the bathroom, shivering as I entered the only other room. Without the steam from the shower, the apartment was rather chilly, the change in temperature raising goosebumps on my heated, naked flesh, so I hurried to my wardrobe, discarding my towel to replace it with a pair of boxers before hastily making my way into a tank top, a shirt and an old pair of sweatpants.

All that was left were the socks.

I reached inside my drawler and... My fingers grazed velvet.

Socks forgotten, I took out the small box and opened it.

The silver ring with the leaves wrapped around a stone the color of red wine was still stunning and utterly confusing, brining memories of last night's dinner.

Last night's unexpectedly tensed, yep pleasant dinner.

For some reason, my palms had been clammy all evening and I'd questioned my every move, and word, and even thought.

My hosts and Keri either didn't notice or had been polite enough not to bring it up.

Not like I'd been when I'd asked why Keri's eyes had been red.

As if she'd been crying.

I huffed and headed for the kitchen area, placed the ring on the counter next to the toaster, loaded the appliance with two slices of white bread and turned it on.

My eyes moved to the still open box with the ring.

Keri's ring.

And, if I had to be honest, it had been Keri who had made me so anxious last night. Her and my previous self-admission that maybe, if I'd met her years ago, I would've asked her out.

I groaned and ran a hand over my face before closing the little box.

I didn't move it though.

And I didn't put it away.

It stood there in all its velvety glory, a symbol of my idiotic behavior.

"I should get rid of you," I told the inanimate object, running a finger over one of its edges.