Welcome to Camp!

Lance found that he had a deep desire to kick the seat in front of him. Hard. Keith and him were classmates from the local high school, but they hardly got along. All throughout their lives they got stuck on projects together from science fairs in elementary schools to research labs in their freshman year. They were polar opposites and Lance just hoped that they wouldn't continue their pattern of getting stuck together.

The orientation started, interrupting Lance's thoughts. A dark skinned woman with long hair introduced herself as Allura, the camp director and welcomed everyone to camp. Keith tried to pay attention, but nothing seemed to interest him. As she read the rules, Keith began to resent camp more and more. He couldn't decide if "have a positive attitude" or "cell phones must be turned it at the beginning of camp" were the phrases that made him want to run.

The camp caretaker introduced himself as Coran. Keith wondered how he could be he caretaker if he seemed hardly in control of himself. Coran was loud and distracted, but likable overall. He appeared to have good intentions. Once he was finished, he asked for questions. Just as Keith zoned out again, he heard the voice behind him that he hoped to have left behind 300 miles north. Coran answered "yes." to the question, but Keith had been too busy, whipping his head around. 

"McClain?!" He whispered harshly.

"Hey mullet." Lance smirked. Keith raised a fist in warning, but Lance leaned back, crossed his arms and shoved the chair with his foot.

"Ahem." Allura cleared her throat and the boys turned back to the PowerPoint at the front, detailing rules of the lake and challenge course. Both boys had already taken their CPR certification, and zoned out, distracted by the presence of each other.

Shiro and Allura meanwhile stood by the door. Allura folded her arms and glanced at the clipboard in her hand. She leaned in to Shiro and whispered.

"What do those boys' name tags say?"

Shiro squinted. "Um, Lance and Keith."

Allura flipped through application forms. She smirked as she narrowed in on the boy's respective forms. "Same hometown. Same high school... this could be fun."

Shiro leaned in. "Lance is with Diamond and Keith is 2." He paused in thought. "Where is Matt?"

Allura flipped through the forms some more. "Green Pack. Seventh Graders."

Shiro looked at her devilishly, through the corners of his eyes and smiled. "Matt should be given some more responsibility as a senior counselor now, don't 'ya think?"

Allura changed the form. Lance McClain- Blue 7, Keith Kogane- Red 7. "This should be fun."

Camp Voltron was a sleep away camp, a fairly small one. It ran a full 8-week session and had kids aged 11 to 13.

Packs were broken into shapes, colors, and numbers. Sixth Graders were Diamond, Star, and Circle Packs; Seventh Graders were Purple, Blue, and Red Packs; finally the eighth graders were the number packs- 1,2,and 3.

Three other boys stood from the group who had different shirts. They introduced themselves as staff, but appeared the same age. Their names were Matt, Pidge, and Hunk. The presentation was wrapped up and the man called Shiro ordered all Junior counselors outside to the main field to announce pack leaders.