Hunk the Lifeguard

The packs had lunch and then went to go change. Keith waited for Lance and his pack. He walked out into the bright sun with his backpack and a towel around his neck.

"Nice shorts." Keith joked, referring to the offending blue Hawaiian pattern.

"I know." Lance gloated. Keith stuck to plain red shorts, himself.

The packs made their way to the pool. When they arrived they were met by a heavyset and deeply tanned lifeguard.

"Hey! I'm Hunk. Welcome to the pool." He greeted. The campers returned the greeting. Hunk announced the kids had to stand under a shower for a couple of seconds before entering the pool. He warned the kids that the water was going to be cold, but they still seemed shocked at the sudden cold rinse. Keith walked through the water calmly, whereas Lance reacted as though he had just stepped on a landmine.

Hunk laughed and arranged the kids around the perimeter of the shallow end and let them stick their legs into the water as he explained the swim test. Keith reminded the kids to rub their sunscreen in, which made Lance laugh out loud, declaring that he was Cuban so luckily he didn't need to use sunscreen. Keith pointed out that Lance, now shirtless, had begun to burn his shoulders. Lance snatched Keith's sunscreen and grudgingly applied it. 

Hunk jumped into the pool, displacing a large amount of water. He had the kids take a water tread test and then monitored them swim a lap across the pool. Each kid was assigned a bracelet color based on their swim levels. Keith and Lance passed the test easily.

Once Hunk gave the all-clear, Keith jumped in and grabbed a pool float and floated around with the kids in the deep end. Lance instead kept his legs in the shallow end and splashed the kids who were confined to the shallow side.

"Lance, why aren't you swimming?" Keith asked.

"I'm trying to stay warm after that shower and swim test." He replied.

Some of the kids responded by splashing the counselor, making him cover himself with his arms and kick water at the offenders. Hunk sat patrolling the pool from his chair. Two other counselors kept watch of the pool off to the side.  Lance shouted out, grabbing Hunk's attention. The kids backed away and Hunk realized that Lance was being swarmed by wasps. Hunk signaled for everyone to evacuate the pool and jumped down. Lance cursed and swatted the insects away and sunk himself into the pool.

The swarm retreated, but wasps still angrily occupied the area. It appeared that a nest under a wooden picnic table had been hit with water. Hunk pulled Lance out and lay him to the side. Keith, who had been watching the kids, froze. He thought back to recess in elementary school, remembering the teacher's panic when Lance had been stung. Keith bolted to Lance's bag, searching for the pen device that Lance often carried.

"Where's Lance's jacket?!" Keith shouted.

One of the kids spoke, "It's back on the games field."

Lance was gasping and held up his arm. Hunk checked the metal bracelet on Lance's wrist. 

"He has a medical ID band! He needs epinephrine!" Hunk shouted.

Keith had already bolted, barefoot, to the games field. He navigated the jacket and made his way back to the pool. Matt had gotten the kids and comforted them. He told them not to worry- that Lance would be fine. One of the secondary lifeguards grabbed an AED, while the other phoned Coran. Keith handed Hunk the pen device and Hunk told Keith to start CPR. After Keith did 30 compression and a very awkward breath, Hunk bared Lance's thigh and stabbed the needle in.

Lance shot up and gasped for air suddenly before laying his head back. He closed his eyes and smirked. "Geez guys. Most people go on a date before the make out with me and try to take my clothes off."

"God Lance. You freaked me the fuck out!" He yelled.

Hunk turned Lance's band between his fingers. As Keith thought about it deeper, he couldn't remember any time that Lance didn't have the bracelet on. He had just gotten so used to it being there. He had never thought that it really served a function. Coran pulled up in the truck, in his typical good mood just as Hunk was pulling the last of the stingers out of Lance's stings.

After a few minutes of talking with Coran, Lance sat up and made his way to the truck, where he was escorted to the health bay. Keith watched the truck pull away and tried to shake off what had just happened. He turned to gather Lance's bag and jacket. Hunk* clasped his shoulder.

"You alright?" He asked, genuine concern and a reassuring smile on his face. 

Keith nodded. "Yeah. This happened before once. In fourth grade. We were playing tag and I chased Lance straight under the slides and straight into a bees nest."

Hunk listened and then spoke. "Yeah. But he's alright. Coran already alerted us to his allergy." Keith thanked Hunk and left to go to get his and Lance's kids from Matt.