Chapter 8: Brains, or Lack Thereof

A helicopter crash wasn't enough to phase the members of Task Force X. No one seemed to care that they had just survived a near-death experience. They simply walked down the street, calm as could be. Harley even seemed energized by the events, opting to skip instead of walk. Flag lead the pack, with several Navy SEALs by his side. There was a ring of SEALs surrounding the pack, an extra precaution to ensure no runaways. There was a flaw in that line of thinking, though. Serial killers and psychopaths aren't scared of SEALs.

Pretty much immediately, escape schemes started forming, beginning with Captain Boomerang. 

"Mind games," Boomerang had approached Slipknot to propose his idea. 

"What's that?" Slipknot kept his voice low, not wanting to draw attention.

Boomerang smirked, thinking himself clever. "It's all mind games, mate. This bomb in the neck crap, it ain't real. They're trying to trap us in our own minds, but when you look around, we're free bro. It's like the lions at the zoo: they could jump over the ditch and kill everyone starin' at them. But they don't, cause they don't think they can." 

"How do you know this?" Slipknot was not convinced. 

"Just trust me, alright?" Boomerang's eyes scanned around, making sure no one was listening in. "It's a con."

"Why should I trust you?" Slipknot was weary of running; he wasn't ready to trust anybody yet. "You seemed friendly with the bitch when we were on the flight over. How do I know you aren't working with her?"

"Who? Aura?" Boomerang shook his head, dismissing the idea. "You weren't there the first time I met her, but I got real close to bashing her brains in. And I don't mean to use it against you, but I did stop her from getting to you when you showed up. I don't know what your history is, but I don't like her either. No reason to work with her." That could have been a game of Two Truths and a Lie. 

"Fair." Slipknot shrugged, more prepared to listen now. 

"Now, I'm gonna get out of here. I got a life to live, and it ain't here." Boomerang smiled at Slipknot. "Question is, are you coming with me?"

Slipknot hesitated for a moment but ultimately decided to take the risk. "I'm in." 

"Yeah, smart." Boomerang took one last look around, making sure they were in an area where they wouldn't immediately be cornered. "Now."

They pair each took a SEAL, knocking them out with single punches. Boomerang followed it up with a few throws of his signature weapons, taking out several other soldiers from afar. Everything was moving fast, from the people to the weapons to the time. Slipknot had made a run for it, and Boomerang was still trying to fight himself out of the crowd. There were SEALs aiming guns from every direction, while the rest of Task Force X just watched the action. 

It was only a matter of seconds before Boomerang had been pinned to a wall, one of the soldier's forearms firmly pressed into his neck. "Oi, mate. You can ease up on the pressure there."