I

Beep...Beep...Beep

A ragged breathing pattern clouded an oxygen mask. His eyes opened weakly and saw the white color of the ceiling.

"I see you've awaken,"

The man tried to sit up from the hospital bed to identify the robotic voice, however he soon felt the painful sensation from his legs which prevented him from doing so.

"It's useless, you aren't going to be able to stand up without the help of the technology of Eruditio," The hospital bed rose, allowing him to sir up.

"Wait a second....," The man remembered, "That robot...I pushed my friend out of the way to save him from that giant robot. Where is my friend?"

"Your companion is safe," the robotic voice responded, "To give him a second chance at life cost you a terrible price.

The man opened the blanket to see the aftermath of the robot attack on his body.

"My legs," he gasped, "They're gone..."

"Correct, Patient 213," the voice responded, "They were lost due to the attack of HACO at the Pandoran District at 11:00. You hade been fortunate enough to survive."

"HACO?"

"Hazardous Articulated Cybernated Organism," The robot defined, "Starting from now, Patient 213 will be residing in the Eruditio Central Hospital for the length of 3 months. By the mean time, you are allowed to use the Augmented Reality Optical Device to observe the Kingdom of Eruditio while you are still incapacitated. Have a pleasant stay."

"I have a name, and its Bruno!" The patient exclaimed, however he was given no response.

Bruno felt reassured, but worried at the same time. He was grateful towards the authorities or Eruditio to have given him medical treatment, but he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to pay for the bills that will come, especially not the technologically advanced amputations.

'Calm down, Bruno. You can handle this,' The man tried to relax, 'Let your body heal first, then you can think about money later.'

He sunk his head to the pillow, grabbing the Augmented Reality Optical Device, which resembled diving spectacles. He put them on, closed his eyes and the simulation began.

 He put them on, closed his eyes and the simulation began

"Is there something wrong, young man?" A master mechanist named Rooney inquired Bruno whose condition had been steadily getting better both mentally and physically, despite the loss of his legs.

"It's just the AROD, the device you've created," Bruno responded, "I couldn't see my home, I could only observe the hospital and nothing beyond it."

The mechanist took the AROD from Bruno's hands and gave him another one which seems much fancier.

"The AROD  that the hospital provides is a replica of my invention that usually allows the user to observe two places; the hospital and their homes. If you weren't able to see your home, than you haven't been listed in the Eruditio Citizen Database, or you are an immigrant," Rooney clarified. He then pointed to the AROD that he gave, "The one I gave you should be able to observe even the smallest villages in the kingdom."

"Thank you, Master Rooney," Bruno smiled in gratitude, "When shall I return these to you?"

"You can keep that old thing," Rooney laughed while he was walking out of his room, "I've actually wanted to get rid of it! It's still good to use!"

As the sound of Rooney's footsteps became quieter and quieter, Bruno put on the AROD and lied down. He then fell into the simulation where he could relax his haste and not worry about his future that he fears to come.