Chapter 2

Kuni Village wasn't a very well known location in Fiore. It was mostly a farming community. All the houses were a few kilometers apart from each other and the closest school was twenty minutes away. Nothing news worthy ever happened here and it very rarely had anything criminal happening either, and the people of Kuni Village liked it that way.

A little green haired girl walked down the dirt road from her house to the only elementary school in town. She wore a yellow tank top and light blue skirt. She wore black flats and knee high socks with lace around the rims. On her back, she carried a backpack with a fancy brawn "M" on it. In her hands, she carried a magazine called Sorcerer Weekly. The girl was so invested in her reading; she didn't hear her name being called from behind her. Before she knew what was happening, another girl had jumped on her back, causing her to drop her magazine.

"MAI! Get your nose out of that stinky book and answer me when I'm screaming your name," the girl said. It didn't take Mai long to figure out the person who had so rudely jumped on her was her best friend, Nashi. Nashi climbed off her friend's back so she could pick up her magazine. Mai leaned down and grabbed the weekly before dusting off the dirt that covered the pages. Figuring she had read enough, Mai rolled up the magazine and put it into one of her backpack pockets.

"It's not a book Nashi, It's a wizarding magazine. It has all the latest stats and gossip on the most famous wizards in all of Fiore," she said as she took in Nashi's outfit. Nashi wore a white dress with golden rims that reached the middle of her thighs. On top of her dress was a salmon long sleeved cover-up with matching gold rims. She had on knee high maroon socks and brown boots. Part of her hair was tied back by a salmon ribbon. On her back was a plain lime green backpack. Mai had always been jealous of Nashi's mother because she had impeccable taste in fashion.

"So, anything new with your wizard community?" Nashi asked. Mai was obsessed with famous wizards, nobody knew as much as Mai did. Nashi understood the basics of what Mai spoke of, but it was just so much to take in. Nashi had always planned on learning magic herself, but not until she was older, and even then she didn't know what she wanted to do.

"Mermaid Heel has a new master, but she's still pretty young to understand what she's doing." Nashi listened as her best friend talked about her favorite wizard guilds. She didn't realize they had arrived at school until they had passed the front gates.

The two friends rushed into the school and to their lockers. Once their stuff was put away, they rushed to their classroom just before the bell ringed. Taking their seats beside each other, the two girls went through the day listening to their teacher. As recess came around, the two friends found themselves anticipating freedom, even if it was only for forty-five minutes. One minute before the bell, their teacher decided to remind them of an important, upcoming even.

"Remember students, next week is Career Week. Make sure all your mothers and fathers can make it to share with us what their jobs are like," from a few seats away, Nashi could hear Haruto whisper, "Apart for Nashi, who doesn't have a dad." Mai had heard as well, expecting Nashi to take action. However, she was surprised to find that Nashi had not been affected. Once the recess bell had rung, all the students had dispersed around the room, finding something to entertain them. Before Nashi could stand, she felt her desk buddy grab her arm, keeping her in place.

"Okay, what's the deal Nashi? Yesterday you were all upset when Haruto had made fun of you, now you're acting like you don't care?" Nashi grinned, showing off her pearly white fangs.

"Because I don't care, Mai. Mommy told me why I didn't have a dad and now I don't feel as sad anymore," said Nashi. It was then that Nashi explained to Mai the story behind fatherless childhood and all Mai could do at the end of it was gape at her like a fish.