18. Like Taking Candy From A Baby

Rotem began dusting himself off behind the counter before grabbing a bottle off the back shelf and taking a swig once he managed to get it uncapped. That man had a carefree attitude at all times it seems. Didn't matter what the problem was, he was always calm when he faced it. It's as if he was confident that he would never fail—no, I was certain that was exactly how he felt. Failure was simply not a possible option for him.

"Rotem," Rhys said as he stepped forward, his hand extended out for a handshake despite the fact that Rotem had his back turned to him, "Pleasure as always, sir!"

Rotem turned around and looked at the hand for a split second as if he was actually doubting on shaking it. He then smiled tightly, grabbed Rhys' hand securely and gave a firm handshake, "Irish Car Bomb..! Right, I just thought that Nolan was alone for this mission. ...You understand I can't pay you for your help, right?"

"Sir, I'm just here to help is all," Rhys responded. "That's my mate they have in there, I'd like to see that I assist him out."

Rotem simply stood in silence, sighed, and scratched the back of his neck before fixing his black-and-red beaded necklace, "I mean... sure, why not?"

That was an odd way to answer back to someone offering help, although it seemed to fly right over Rhys' head. I cleared my throat.

"Now what?" I asked.

"Well, we're a step behind on everything," Rotem sighed, rubbing his face in frustration, "This would have worked quicker if you had known to use your fire abilities sooner."

"...I thought you gave me a drawing of a desert at night," I said as I hunted for the drawing in my pocket. I yanked it out and showed it to him, "I'm sorry, but this doesn't look like it needs fire. What would've happened to us if Rhys wasn't there to clear this up?"

Rotem fanned his hand at me as he ignored the drawing, "I can't complain if everything's worked out for the better. We have bigger matters at hands and the day is still young! We need to get going if we want to set up the trap with enough time to escape. We're a fair bit behind schedule, but I'm sure if we keep up our pace, this plan could be pulled off."

Rotem took lead of the new trio with instructions to follow him to the back of the bar. Rotem wiggled the doorknob before rustling into his robes and pulling out a small plastic gun and a thin stick as he stuck it into the keyhole. Clicking the gun repeatedly into the keyhole, he tried his luck again when the door's knob was able to finally become unlocked.

"This place is just in an office," Rhys responded randomly as he looked past the doorway and into the new room. "It was killing me to know what was in here but I just didn't have the heart to keep breaking into places. I'm trying to turn a new leaf, you know."

I looked around and it was true, it was a plain office with a giant lone desk and a hefty bookshelf next to another fireplace that was unlit and cold.

Rotem went over to the bookshelf and pushed the side of it with surprising ease. Behind it hid another door.

"People sure love hidden doors, don't they?" I commented as Rotem got to work unlocking it.

"It's convenient, I even have one back in my own office," Rotem commented as he worked quickly, "You need it when you're in charge of anything too risky."

Before another question could be asked, the door was opened and we stepped forward into the freezing space of the cavern. A dim green light filled the tunnel from Rhys' ring when I noticed another orange light that was emanating from Rotem's hand.