Chapter Two

Practice was at eleven, but I was up at six thirty. I was going down to the free complimentary breakfast, then to the Bell Centre to do some on ice training with myself.

There was only one other person in the breakfast room with me when I went down. And it was Thomas.

"You're up early," he remarked as I sat down with him.

"I'm going to do some on ice training, wanna come with?"

"Yes! I was gonna go anyways, and I was gonna ask you, but from my experience with waking girls up early, it never goes well," he laughed.

"I'm up at six thirty every morning. And I'm always down for food and a workout, " I told him.

"Good to know, maybe now I won't have to workout by myself!" he exclaimed. "Workout buddies?" He asked extending his hand.

"Workout buddies," I said shaking his hand. These tryouts were becoming less and less lonely for me as they progressed, and I liked having the friends. Even if I only have one right now.

●●●

"Come on Lucy! You gotta keep up!" Thomas yelled as I started to fall behind. I was exhausted already.

I thought about how much I wanted this spot on the team, and skated a lot faster. I passed Thomas and continued down the ice. I kept pumping my legs, willing myself to go faster and faster until I finally passed him. And what an accomplishment that was!

Girl-3 Boys-1

"Eat that Chabot!" I yelled, happy for my improvement.

"Atta girl!" he yelled back. "Now let's rest up so you can do that again in front of everyone!"

"Alright, I could use a break," I agreed grabbing my watter bottle. Gotta stay hydrated! I'd hate to flake out in front of everyone. That'd be embarrassing.

"Go get changed and I'll take you out for a second breakfast. But a light one, practice is in two hours."

"Sounds good to me, I'll be out in a few!" I said hustling to the change room.

Since Thomas knew Montreal better than I did, he led the way and took me to a small coffee shop in the heart of the city. Montreal really is a beautiful city.

He bought us each a fruit smoothie and a chocolate chip muffin. And man was it ever good.

We sat and chatted for a few minutes, then decided to go back to the rink to get ready for practice. And I was very excited to prove myself to everyone. I really felt like I could. I hope Thomas put in a good word for me.

●●●

Practice was hard. Really hard. But I never fell behind once. And when we scrimmaged, I crushed Julien Gauthier into the boards.

Girl-4 Boys-1

He gave me a dirty look, but didn't say anything thankfully.

Since Thomas and I were on the same team I didn't get to crush him like I hoped I would, but as it turns out, we are an amazing defensive pair. Maybe our blooming friendship off the ice is helping us on the ice.

After practice coach held me back again. I hoped it was good news this time.

"Lucy today was amazing! You crushed Julien Gauthier like an ant! Also, you and Thomas make a really great pairing on the ice. He also told me about you two working together last night and this morning. I'm proud of you. You listen to my advice and take everything I say seriously. So I'm very pleased to tell you that you've made the first cut."

"Thank you so much coach. I won't give up. I'm determined to make this team. And yes Thomas pushes me to do better. I like working with him," I said trying to keep my excitement at bay.

"Congratulations again, we're making history one day at a time."

I nodded and skated off the ice, wanting to get changed quickly so I could tell Thomas the good news. I was so giddy with excitement!

A few guys with sad faces exited the dressing room first.

"I can't believe that freaking girl beat us out," one of them said to the other.

"Oh yeah she's been sucking up to Chabot. Probably fucking him to get a spot," another one said.

"Oh yeah girls would do anything to get whatever they want," the first guy said.

They were so assuming, and it was pissing me off. So I decided to open my big fat mouth and say something.

"Excuse me? If that's who you think I am, and what I do, then you're wrong. I have worked my ass off to get to where I am and all you guys think is that I slept around to get here? No way. You guys are being sexist towards me, and quite frankly I just think you're jealous of me. So grow a pair and get over yourself," I said letting my anger boil over.

"Us jealous? No way. We just think it's unfair that they want to take a girl over us because they want to make history. It's a men's hockey league, women like you don't belong here. And to make the whole story even better, they're going to put the star-crossed lovers who workout and eat breakfast together right in the mix of it. Lucy and Thomas the face of Hockey Canada," they mimicked.

"Both that or I'm just a better player than you, and you can't handle it. And Thomas? He's just a friend. The first time I ever talked to him was last night, and now we're star-crossed lovers? I don't know how that works, so could someone please enlighten me?" I yelled.

At that moment, Thomas decided to come out of the dressing room and pull me into a huge bone crushing hug.

"Please enlighten us with the fact that you guys aren't together?"

This grabbed Thomas' attention.

"Together? Just because we've worked out a couple of times means we're together? No I'm sorry; it just doesn't work like that. Lucy and I are nothing more than friends. To be on this team I can't be having a romantic relationship with my teammate. Do you guys understand?" he said to the guys. "Come on Lucy, let's go celebrate."

●●●

Since I'm underage, we couldn't celebrate with liquor, but Thomas, Mat Barzal, Julien and Mathieu Joseph came and had dinner with me in my room.

Thomas sat with me in my bed, while Julien and Mathieu took the chairs and Mat sat on the unused bed.

"Man it was so damn funny when you squashed Julien today! All of us guys on the bench were laughing our asses off! And the look he gave you afterwards was so funny!" Mat said digging into his steak.

Not only were we celebrating me, this was our last night to have fun before the four day selection camp begins.

I was nervous about the camp because I really wanted to make the team, but I didn't know if I could do it. If I could handle the camp. Four days of relentless drills, workouts and practice games. And once the team is finalized we'll have pre-tournament games against some of the competing countries.

Thomas and I were going to workout together again tomorrow morning and probably catch breakfast and lunch together too.

In a society full of people not subject to change like this, I was glad to have found an unlikely friend in Thomas.