Chapter Three

My alarm went off at six the next morning; I got up, showed and went down to breakfast where to ma's already sat with his food.

I grabbed my food and sat with him as I have for the second morning in a row. I think I'm going to start looking forward to this.

"How are you always down here before me?" I asked taking a bite off of my croissant.

"I don't take forever in the shower like you girls do," he laughed.

"Hey, we have a lot of body parts that require shaving and conditioner needs time to soak in, or it doesn't work," I said arguing back.

"Either that or you girls just really like to stand under hot water," he said. "Is it true that girls sing karaoke in the shower?"

"Uh, I don't but I can't speak for anyone else," I laughed.

"You secretly sing karaoke in the shower," he teased.

"Thomas! I do not! Especially not in a hotel where I've been staying on a floor with a whole bunch of guys! I'm not actually insane! Maybe you secretly sing karaoke in the shower! Oh my you look like the karaoke type," I jested.

"Non, non, non, je ne pas chanté," he said.

"I bet you do. I bet you're some secret karaoke god," I laughed.

"Oh no, that's Mathieu. He's a better singer than me," he told me.

"Oh! So you do sing! The newest item on my bucket list is to listen to the one and only Thomas Chabot sing," I said excitedly.

"Only if I get to listen to you in return," he offered.

"Ugh, fine," I whined.

"I hope you're a really terrible singer," he joked.

"Oh trust me, I am," I told him.

He just smiled and we ate the rest of our breakfast in a comfortable silence.

●●●

"Lucy!" Thomas yelled looking at his phone. He looked angry.

"What!" I yelled walking over to him.

He held out his phone. It was on an article from a website. But the article was about us.

"ARE ROMANCES BLOOMING BETWEEN TEAMMATES LUCY PILMER AND THOMAS CHABOT?" the headline read.

"Oh hell no," I whispered.

I read on.

"Is there a pair of star-crossed lovers at the 2017 World Junior Hockey Championship tryouts? Well all signs point to yes and we look at defensive partners Lucy Pilmer and Thomas Chabot. The part has been spending a lot of time together on and off the ice, including a night in with a few other teammates last night," I couldn't read on anymore.

I felt my anger boil inside.

"What the actual fuck!" I yelled. "This is bullshit!"

"Lucy, it's okay, we know it's not true alright? They're doing this on purpose. They want to get in our heads. They want you to fail, so it's something they can talk about for weeks. Don't get upset. Come here," he said opening his arms for a hug.

I gladly stepped into his arms and was thankful for his warm embrace. I was also glad that we were the only ones in the gym.

"Everything will be alright," he promised.

"I hope you're right," I whispered.

"Come on, go get changed. We can go back to your room and chill. You look like you could use it right about now," he said starting to put some equipment away.

"Alright, I'll leave my door unlocked. I'm gonna shower, I'm a bit sweaty and stinky," I told him smiling.

"Alright, I'll be over."

I power walked back to my room, showered super quickly and put on some perfume. He deserved to see a non-sweaty and stinky version of me every once in a while. I mean I still looked like a slob lying on my bed in my sweatpants when he walked in, but he had sweatpants on too, so I didn't feel so bad.

He sat down beside me on my bed and pulled the covers over his waist.

"Did I invite you into my bed?" I teased.

"No, but I know you want me here," he said winking.

The blush that crept up my face was impossible to hide.

"Aww quit blushing," he teased.

"Shut up Thomas," I said throwing a pillow at him.

"Not until you stop blushing!"

"Ugh Thomas you're the worst person  ever," I whined.

"Aww bur I know you love me," he said pulling me into his side.

"I hate it when you're right," I mumbled.

"I love you too Lucy," he laughed.

●●●

Thomas and I spent the day curled up on my bed watching movies.

The Notebook (Thomas cried!!!), Deadpool, Me Earl and the Dying Girl, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and my favourite, Waterboy.

It was almost nine when Thomas left.

"Today was really fun," he said flashing me his killer smile. "We should do it again after selection camp, when you make the team."

"I'd like that, thanks for coming over, I really needed a day like this," I told him.

"I'd think both of us did. I'll see you tomorrow. Get some rest these next four days are gonna be rough," he said pulling me into a hug.

"They are, you still on for breakfast tomorrow?" I asked. I hope I get to have breakfast with him every single morning.

"Always," he said smiling before going back to his room.