Chapter Eleven

After our shower, Thomas and I decided to take a pre-game nap. It was a good decision because who knew food fighting was so tiring?

When I woke up, which was of course before Thomas, I straightened my hair and put on my foundation and mascara. I wasn't gonna put on a whole lot of makeup just to look like a raccoon when it smudged from my sweat. I also grabbed my khakis and put them on with my Team Canada polo shirt, which I tucked in. I also put on my Nike's from Mat and my track jacket. And I laid out Thomas' outfit for him.

Then I went to wake up Thomas, which trust me is a task and a half. I shook his shoulder and he grunted and rolled away from me. I sighed and rolled my eyes and walked to the other side of the bed and pressed a kiss to his lips. He hummed in approval and snaked his arms around me waist.

"Now that is the right way to wake a man up," he grinned kissing me again.

"Yeah I know and that's why I did it you turkey. Now get up and get ready so well be ready on time," I told him getting up. "I laid out your outfit for you too."

"Aww babe you're the best," he said smiling.

"Yeah yeah I know," I teased.

He got out of bed and looked me up and down. "You look nice," he remarked.

"I do know how to look nice sometimes Thomas," I told him.

"You look nice everyday to me," he charmed.

"Oh stop it you."

"Aww you know you love me though," he pressed.

"I know I love you too," I told him.

●●●

Thomas took a really long time getting ready and he almost made the whole team late to the rink. Like how long does it take for a guy to get ready? I was ready in a half an hour for crying out loud.

I was just about to text gum to hurry up when he ran on the bus. Since he took so long I decided to sit with Phil.

"What took you so long Chabby?" Dylan yelled from the back of the bus.

"Oh you know, getting all beautiful," he joked.

"Even though you got the girl you sill gotta impress her?" Jeremy asked laughing his ass off.

"Oh yes I have high standards you know," I teased.

"What girl doesn't?" Carter asked and the whole bus erupted with laughter. It doesn't take much to make these guys laugh I tell you.

But I quickly quieted down as people turned on their music to get into game mode. I turned on my favourite song at the time, Twenty One Pilot's cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love With You". Then I put it on my rap music playlist and got super pumped.  I was also very nervous.

We were playing Russia after all, and I was scared at how everyone would react to me playing. I knew I had Canadian haters out there, so the other countries must really hate me.

When I got off the bus my stomach was in knots. A slow panic started to rise in my chest. Thoughts of doubt started swimming in my head.

When someone told me that I didn't have my own dressing room, it seemed like they were on another planet I was so zoned out.

I sat down at my stall and absentmindedly started pulling my gear on. I didn't even notice that Thomas' stall was next to mine until he placed a hand on my leg, startling me.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I can't do it Thomas," I whispered, tears forming in my eyes.

He crouched in front of me. "Lucy. You can do it. You are an amazing hockey player and you can do anything you put your mind to. If you think you're the only one thus nervous, you're wrong. Think about Stromer. Being captain isn't easy, and trust me neither is assistant captain. But Dominique put you on this team and made you assistant captain for a reason Lucy. You are destined for greatness. Think of all the little girls' faces as you step on that ice. You're their hero, now go out there and show them what a hero does."

"Thank you," I said much more confidently. I hugged him then put on my jersey. I proudly donned the number four, my favourite number.

I grabbed my stick and put my helmet on and lined up at the door with my team. I was ready to represent Canada.

When I stepped out onto the ice, the feeling was surreal. The whole nation watching the first female hockey player in history step onto World Junior ice. The whole world was watching. Waiting.

I skated around with the team and got a good feeling for the ice. We then stretched out, Dylan leading us. Next we started shooting drills and I showed off a little bit. We all joked around a little bit with each other and before we knew it, the horn blew, signalling the end of warm-up.

We all filed into the dressing room again, most of the guys taking off their jerseys and chest protectors. I left mine on to stay warm. We got a pre-game speech from Dominique, and before we knew it, we were back on the bench again for the anthems.

Thomas, Mathieu, Dylan, Julien and I stood on the ice because we were the starting line. I don't think I've ever been more pumped and full of adrenaline in my whole life. I was ready to kick some Russian ass.