Chapter Four

The next four days, those were the hardest days of my life. Constant drills, land and on ice workouts and finally, the practice game against the Czech Republic.

But I surprised myself these past four days. I never fell behind the boys once. And they never chirped me once. They knew I was serious about this team. And I was. I had every intention of making the team.

The practice game was the best hockey game of my life. Sure everyone chirped the hell out of me, but I had one goal and three assists. I think that surprised everyone! And Thomas assisted my goal! That made me super happy.

After that, the official team roster was going up. I was nervous to see who made it and who got cut. After I got changed I walked over to the list, butterflies in my stomach. I really wanted this team. More than anything I have ever wanted in my whole life.

Forwards
"A" Mathew Barzal
"C" Dylan Strome
Dillon Dube
Julien Gauthier
Anthony Cirelli
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Mathieu Joseph
Tyson Jost
Michael McLeod
Taylor Raddysh
Nicholas Roy
Blake Speers

Defense
"A" Thomas Chabot
Jake Bean
Dante Fabbro
Noah Juulsen
Jeremy Lauzon
Phillipe Meyers
Mitchell Stephens
"A" Lucy Pilmer

Goaltenders
Carter Hart
Conner Ingram

The tears started running down my fave the minute I read my name. And Dominique made me an assistant captain! I felt so honored.

I rushed back to the hotel to tell Thomas, but he wasn't in his room.

When I went back into my room, there was a bouquet of flowers on my bed.

"I told you that you could do it! xoxo Thomas" the note read.

"Oh Thomas," I said smiling as I read the note. He sure knows how to make a girl smile.

"Hey! You're back finally!" he said walking into my room.

We were both quick to close the distance between us, except Thomas kissed me. And I kissed him back. Soon we were making out on my bed. Everything felt right with Thomas.

We didn't get carried away though. We both stopped when we realized what we had done, even though it was amazing to me.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that," he said, almost our of breath.

"It's okay, I kissed you back."

We both got off of my bed. "True, but I'm so proud of you!" he exclaimed picking me up.

"We made history Thomas."

"No Lucy. You made history."

"No we, because if you didn't help me that night I wouldn't be here right now. I would have been cut first," I told him.

"Don't owe all of your success to me, you're a strong girl, you wouldn't be here if you didn't put in the effort that you did. Lucy, you made a national men's hockey team! Look at you go!" he said hugging me again.

"Thanks Thomas, but I couldn't have done it without a friend like you."

"Aww, you're sweet. Wanna come celebrate with the team?" he asked.

"Absolutely!"

●●●

When I walked into the conference room, everyone applauded me. This team just broke history. It's not every day you break history.

"Lucy!" Mathieu yelled. "You did it!"

"Freaking right I did!"

The coaching staff came in with a wile bunch of champagne. It was going to be a wild night for sure.

Thomas popped open a bottle and raided his glass for a toast.

"I'd like to toast to this team, a history making team, and to Lucy, a history making girl," he said shooting me a wink.

Everyone raised their now full glasses and repeated, "To history!"

And then the party started.

Pretty much everyone got wasted. It was great. It was also my first time getting drunk. Pretty sure my dad would've been angry, but whatever.

I'm pretty sure I kissed someone, but I don't remember. I don't remember anything after Thomas' toast. Oops.

The next morning was rough. I woke up with a raging headache. I looked at my phone and one p.m. glared back at me. I groaned and got out of bed.

My head throbbed with every step I took. When I opened my door, the hall light temporarily blinded me. It was so bright. The sound that came out of me sounded a lot like a growl. Or that of a wild animal.

"She's alive!" Mat Barzal yelled from the other end of the hall.

I winced as his voice rang through my head like a gong.

The door to Thomas' room flew open and he stepped out. He looked pissed, and he looked like he got hit by a truck.

"Just because you're a super human and can like never get hungover doesn't mean the rest of us are. Shut. The. Hell. Up," he said.

"Sorry," he half whispered.

"Did I get hit by a truck last night?" I asked Thomas.

"Don't think so," he said laughing a little. "At least I hope you didn't. But if you did you look like a beautiful truck accident," he smiled.

"I feel like a literal sac of shit," I told him leaning against my door.

"Want me to come over and we can be hung-over together?" he asked.

"The door is always open," I said moving to open my door, except I left my key card in my room. "Well ninety nine percent of the time."

Luckily a janitor walked by and opened the door for me.

"There now the door really is open," I laughed walking in.

"How about your bed? I don't wanna lie alone way over there."

"The other side of my bed is usually open too, unless occupied by you," I told him.

"Great," he said lying down on my bed.

I lay down beside him then asked, "Did you see me kiss anyone last night?"

"Yep, and I won't tell you who either. You gotta figure it out for yourself," he teased.

"Thomas! You're the worst ever! I would like to remember who I kissed," I whined.

"But you know you love me," he said winking. "And no way, I'm not telling!"

"I think you know that I love you Thomas. Come on I wanna nap," I said rolling away from him.

"Alright," he said snuggling into me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"You little cuddle monster," I mumbled before closing my eyes.

"You betcha," he whispered, kissing my exposed neck.

I rolled over so I was snuggling him back, and I don't think I've slept better in all of my life.