Chapter 9

<Sam’s POV>

Recap:

I stood up again at the same time as her. I looked her in the eye, feeling my energy reach its peak. “Never will I lose to the likes of you,” I said, before letting my energy take over my body and everything fading to black.

-*-

I opened my eyes to find Reyna lying on the ground in front of me, covered in nasty gashes and cuts, knocked out for good. I was thoroughly confused.

“What the hell just happened?” I muttered audibly. I started feeling woozy, completely drained out.

“This battle is over. The victor is Samantha,” announced the principal, waving his hands.

The noise barrier dropped and huge roars were heard from the crowd. I winced and tried to step forward but the shooting pain from my leg had me buckling my knees as I fell to the ground.

“Medics, please treat the contenders. Audience, start making your way over to the dorms. There will be no classes held for the remainder of the day. Zodiac Circle and teachers please meet me in my office,” the principal said, his expressionless voice cutting through the din of the crowd.

A few young adults dressed in white paramedic suits came out and started to help me up. A couple of them hesitantly tried to wake Reyna. As I was getting up, I heard a coughing. I turned to see Reyna, struggling to get up, without any help.

“NO! This is not over. I can’t lose. Not to the likes of her,” she shouted and spat out a mouthful of blood. She held her right hand in her left and an uneasy sensation shot through me. Others sensed it too. She was building up her magic. Blue lightning shot up her fingers, giving her hand a claw-like appearance.

She bolted towards me, stumbling, but still with a fast enough speed. She was a few metres away from me when my right hand lifted of its own accord.

Subconsciously, I flicked my wrist at her and she was blasted backward, as if she was hit by a shield. I stared wide-eyed.

Did I just do that?

I was still shocked when the medics forced me onto a stretcher, moving me towards the infirmary while a few remained behind to move Reyna, who had been knocked unconscious again, all credits to me.

As I was being carried to the infirmary, my adrenaline wore off, and I was painfully reminded of all the cuts and wounds on my body. I closed my eyes and let out a groan.

“Don’t worry Sam. Everything will be alright,” came a very familiar voice. I eyes shot open and I saw Ryder, smiling down at me.

“You did great; now let us do our job, okay? You will be back to normal very soon,” he said. I let out a sigh of relief and felt a hand intertwine with mine before I passed out due to weariness.

-*-

I opened my eyes to look at a bright white room. I sat up, clutching my head. I had a pounding headache.

“Sam, you are awake?! How are you feeling?” I heard someone say.

I turned my head to see Axel sitting in the chair. I slumped back into the soft pillows.

“I feel like a zombie. It hurts everywhere,” I complained.

“I’m not surprised. You put up quite the fight. You were actually standing after Reyna struck you with her lightning,” he said.

I let out another groan. “How long have I been out for?” I asked.

“Around four hours. Ryder and his team treated you and left some time ago. He said you will have to stay here overnight. I also have a message for you from the principal. You are to meet him as soon as possible, when you can move around,” he replied, rolling his eyes. This jogged a memory.